Clean Slate Home Theatre Purchase (Requesting Feedback)

Kuwen

I’m a couple weeks away from pulling the trigger on my home theatre setup and have done about all the research I can on my own and am now seeking final validation from the experts.

Background
My current setup consists solely of a Panasonic TH50PZ85U television and a DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player; the room itself is ~160 square feet (carpeted floors). In spite of the modest size room, I don’t want to necessarily ‘downsize’ my setup to fit as my intention is to develop the basement in the future.

Budget
My budget is on the order of a few thousand dollars and I’m the type of person who won’t necessarily invest in the absolute best but often one, maybe two steps below that. If I need to scale back and just buy (for example) the fronts and receiver to achieve that, than so be it.

Proposed Setup
The below is the setup that I’ve come up with which I believe best fits my budget and needs and my hope is that I can get some good feedback with potential alternatives and upgrades that I may have overlooked. Under no circumstances do I want to look back on my purchase and kick myself for not having bought the bigger/better fronts, receiver, sub, etc.

Fronts
Klipsch RF-82 (x2)

Center
Klipsch RC-62 (x1)

Subwoofer
Klipsch RW-10D (x1)

Rears
Klipsch RS-42 (x2)

Receiver
Denon AVR-889

Closing comments
I’m most nervous about choosing the receiver as it can make or break the setup, my research has indicated that Denon pairs well with Klipsch and the AVR-889 has ample HDMI inputs and (I believe) all the sound decoding I require. I would however be very interested to hear opinions on what tangible things I stand to gain by upgrading the receiver further. I’m also open to considering other brands.

As for the choice of speakers, I’ve had a Klipsch setup with my PC for years and they’re amazing. I’ve listened to their Reference series speakers a number of times and they too sound amazing and look great to boot. Aside from their pricey subwoofers, I can’t find where anyone says anything negative about them.

I’d love to hear some personal experiences on my exact choices of speakers and whether I should consider the other models (RS-52s vs RS-42s, RW-12D/RSW-10D vs RW-10D, etc.). The biggest choice I’ve been debating between is if I should make the leap to the RF-63s (or even RF-83s) and simply defer purchase of other components, any advice in this regard would be especially appreciated.

Thanks for reading,
Scott

Scott,

Welcome.

I am also looking at almost that same setup. My humble idea would be to :

1. Wait on the Sub and Rear speakers for now.

2. If you like Denon, then look at their Higher end models. My research shows that the lower end price units don't preform /holdup well.
this way you could afford a better Receiver and save up later on for the Sub and Rear speakers.....

JMHO. Good Luck and Post Pics when your Setup.

Welcome, good luck with it all.

I will echo the comments about Denon. I have a AVR4306 and love it. I bought it a while back so it is a little lacking in the new HD sound decoding but since there is little media that outputs that I am ok and use the 7.1 analog input when I need it. Btw there was a Denon 4806 for sale on this forum a few days ago. I thought it to be a good deal. IIRC they were asking 1200.

I have noit heard any of the new Reference stuff other than my RS-7 suurounds, just make dang sure the 3 across the front match well.

If you happen to be in the Georgia area come by and listen to my Denon/Klipsch.

Again, welcome.

Mike

Commercial begins:Shameless plug, Chorus IIs fronts/Quartet rears and Academy center 5.0 set for sell here just get a sub, you're set. Used them with my 4306 for a few years. Commerical over!

Sounds like a sweet set-up to me. I sincerely doubt you'd have any regrets with that system. Could you get a bigger, better receiver? Yes. Would I get one at the exclusion of the sub and rears? No way. If you had a few extra bucks, I'd go to a little bigger sub, maybe, but I think the RW-10 would be a pretty good match for the RF-82s.

Welcome to the FUN!

what size room you have will be the biggerst determining factor on which speaker choice. if you have something like 13'X17' you may want to stick with the rf-82's. i went to BB to hear a pair of them. won't render my opinion because it's tainted a bit. what size will the basement be? Falcon has a pair of rf-83's and he has them in a small room, and he is not the happiest camper. those bad boys do need room to breath. rs-42's vs. rs-52's, i would stick with the 42's unless you have a very large room. same speaker, just physically bigger. i just did a test with these speakers including the rb-81's. the 42's worked great, just like they were designed.

the AVR is always going to be a gamble. if you ask 1000 people on here which AVR to choose you get the same 4 answers. (Denon, Yammy, Pioneer, and Onkyo). i don't have "trained" ears, they all sound the same to me.

when it comes to HT, you should spend the most on the speakers. they won't loose their value as compared to the electronics. you will see all over this forum some type of electronic device that orginally was $3500 and will resell for $1000. the speakers you never need to replace, you just want to. electronics come and go.

i was at Starpower and did a demo between the rsw-10d vs the rw-12d and the 12 kicked it's butt. being it's bigger you assume it should, but we had to turn the 10d all the way up to give the same "punch" as the 12d turned down. really no comparison. i would pick the 12d hands down. if that is too pricey for you, then you can try link.

i have one of their "smaller" ones (A2-300) it rumbles the dishes in the kitchen. no kidding.

I have the RF-82s and the RC-62. Love em so far. I have Onkyo and also am pleased with it. If I were you I'd get the Onkyo TX-SR805. I have a Onkyo sub now that I am gonna replace with the Klipsch RW-12d soon. I am using my old Klipsch ProMedia 5.1(PC speakers) for my rears for now and they seem to work ok.

post-34674-13819437932106_thumb.jpg