Upcoming Reference RF-5,7

RogerG

Let me see if I understand the differences in the forthcoming Reference RF-5 and RF-7 tower. RF-5 will have 1" tweeter, RF-7 will be 1.7". Both will have an 8" horn. Both will have a tapered array crossover or "2.5 way" similar to what Paradigm and PSB use in their speakers. RF-5 will have 8" woofers like the current RF-3 but with low mass surrounds, bigger magnets and a larger port. RF-7 will be similar except for having 10" woofers. Now, a few questions. Will the woofers use "cast polymer baskets" (plastic) similar to what the current reference series uses? Will the cabinets have internal bracing on the level of say, a Paradigm Reference studio 100 speaker? (A speaker in the same projected price range of the RF-7). Do horns by their very nature even need this kind of bracing? (woofers are a different matter). Will off axis response (a traditional horn weakness) be improved by crossing over the top woofer into the midrange or by the new horn design? (or both)? Will the titanium dome in the RF-5 be a refinement over the current RF-3 or just the horn? Is a 10" woofer too large to be playing into the midrange? Sorry about all the questions but I have recently lisened to some Paradigm References and was very impressed. Very wide soundstage, holographic imaging,and a more detailed midrange than my RF-3's but I noticed they sounded a little reticent and were missing some of the "gutsy" feeling of my RF-3's. I am considering getting the Paradigms but am going to wait for the release of the new Klipsches to see if they make up for what the Paradigms have and my RF-3's lack (and vice versa). Any responses to my questions would be appreciated.

I am here in the same situation as yours. I am waiting for the new klipsch line and also considering the Paradigm for the exact same reason.

With the retailing price range between $1400 and $2200, Klipsch will be facing stiff competition from the "built like a tank" Canadian here, especially they are now shutting down all internet and mail order sites which willing to offer discount prices.

I wish klipsch will be willing to put strong

bracing and higher quality construction to fend off the long debating quality issue of the KLF line.

Klipsch need to take notes here:

Here are the potential and knowledgeable customers willing to pay for qualify products, please put the value in speakers to show that the American make is head and shoulder ahead of the Canadian make in both sound quality and construction quality. So we customers can make clear and obvious choice.

<<RogerG: Will off axis response (a traditional horn weakness) be improved by crossing over the top woofer into the midrange or by the new horn design?>>

RG,

Just gotta stick my 2 cents worth in here; Many people consider the "controlled directivity" of horns to be a GOOD thing! I know I do.

-JDM

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with YC. I think Klipsch should step up to the competition and build these new speakers with the same caliber as the Paradigms. All you have to do is knock on the side of the cabinet of the Paradigms or most other comparative speakers and they are rock solid. If you knock on the side of MOST or at least SOME klipsches you can hear it resonate as if you were hitting a hollow wall. I am tired of me asking local dealers about Klipsch and they just grin and say "well Klipsch isnt the same anymore." I think its obvious, people LOVE klipsch and were willing to pay a little extra to hear people talk about how the new Klipsches completly BLOW THE COMPETITION AWAY!!! I guess its up to Fred Klipsch now. Come on Freddie, u gotta come through for us or give it back to Paul.

Rather than spend much time discussing specs, I suggest you go to a dealer who displays the new RF-5 and RF-7 when they reach market. You can then judge the sound quality for yourself and decide if RF-5 or RF-7 are what you desire. Both will benefit from sonic upgrades over the wildly successful RF-3. I think you'll like them, but it's your ear.