Klipsch RT-12d vs. JL Audio Fathom f113

Kain

The F113 is a joke relying on the image that something expensive must be better. A higher distortion driver might sound like it has "more" bass, but that can only be said for someone that can't differentiate between distortion and accurate reproduction of the source material. Sure, there is some merit to someone claiming they prefer the sound of distortion, but I personally grow tired of putting the same hot-sauce on everything all the time.

DocWHO?,

The f113 is a joke! You just made a good one. The distortion you speak of is very low at levels 99.9% of users listen to any material.

You want to see the reference in low distortion sub bass,take a look at TC Sounds LMS-Ultra/5400 in sealed or ported(PR) configurations. They blow the little K subs out of the test field.Look at actual tests performed on the HTS forum by a very trusted memeber who relies on measuring not small talk. And tell me the R line from K can even begin to match the distortion,output and linearity. [8-|]

Also the f113 that you consider a joke stands among the finest subs most that make the vast majority of K subs look like mass market gear.

A joke,yes you are a good joker.

OUTRAGEOUS! [:D]

Must be so outrageous people are outraged! [8-|]

You should become a stand up comic one day.You would beat Seinfeld, not even in question.

So ,Jay said both Thilo and Wiggins are using hidden passages to move around the city. What is next ? We learn from Jay they worked for GM(General Mediocre)and assemble seatbelts that snap at 5 miles per hour !

Here's the F113:

jl%20audio%20f113%20thd.png

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/8152-jl-audio-fathom-f113-new.html

Here's the LMS with two 18" passives:

diy%20tc%20sounds%20lms5400%2018%20pr%20

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/8156-diy-tc-sounds-lms-5400-18-2x18-page-ranking-200l-new.html

Each sweep is a 5dB increment starting at 90dB measured in half space at I believe 1m.

Sadly
we don't have a similar distortion measurement from the RT-12d in a
similar scenario. It's also interesting to note just how much smoother
the frequency response of the RT-12d is...almost as if the Klipsch
engineers were taking the corner placement scenario into account
(imagine that). I have no doubt that the RT-12d will have lower
distortion, dig just as low (if not lower) and is capable of more SPL
(compared to the F113).

Trey, any chance of doing a similar run of measurements to those
posted in these links? I'd love to see how things stackup in a straight
up comparison....it always seems like Klipsch gets left outta these
comparisons. I'd be willing to come down and carry the heavy stuff just
to find out.

I also just wanted to mention that a sliding high
pass filter is not a good thing - it's a preventative measure for a
driver that doesn't have enough displacement. I would only consider
using the F113 above 40Hz, but then my mains dig that low and have just as low distortion.

Look like I said before I own the RF- 83 COMPLETE SYSTEM with 2 sets of the surrounds. I did not buy the rt-12d after the demo. It would shake a damn thing in the room. The Jl F113 on the otherhand will make your neighbors think it is thundering outside. Go demo a F113 and put the Klipsch on Videogon!

you are an employee of Klipsch right? Non biased? By the way where are the " Best subwoofer awards for this turd from Klipsch"

I do not know of anyone with a serios system out here that has to run out and buy a Klpisch sub to complete his system. However there are many many People out here including me who owns a Klipsch system who bought the Fathom .

Ask craigsub to demo it. You might get slapped.[|-)]

105 db? That is what I mean it is 105 db of mid bass compared to the FATHOM f113. The Fathom has floor shaking, couch shaking, light blowing power. The Klipsch is loud and thts about it when compared. I will not argue any more. Go to a local dealer and compare for yourself.

Obviously you didn't look up the measurements....the 105dB is for the F113:

jl%20audio%20f113%20pc.png

The
RT-12d is good for 120dB at 30Hz indoors, so probably closer to 114dB
outdoors. Even subtracting an extra 3dB for bloated specs and the RT-12d is still good for an extra
6dB (which would be perceived twice as loud). Can't argue with the facts. Heck, call the F113 good for 110dB above 30Hz and it's still putting out less.

Btw,
how do you know the RT-12d was configured properly in your single
dealer demo? If I were a dealer, I'd be configuring everything to sound
mediocre against the product with the highest profit margin....also
knowing that it's way easier to sell an image.

Heavy compression at 105dB...please tell me what you smoked,it is good stuff. The measurments were taken outdoors and at 105dB the compression is minimal. It is by 110dB you start to see(as the graph CLEARLY shows) "heavy" compression.

I see some interpret graphs like John McCain interprets economy the "sunshine" way.

Maybe Mr MadOff should be hired to read these graphs. [:D]

I see at least a db of power compression at the 105 db trace. Granted, this was an outdoor measurement, and you can add between 6 and 9 db inside. All the subs tested were tested under the same conditions. Ok, so there wasn't 3-4 db at 20hz at the 105 db level trace. The JL in the test also had the good fortune of being supplied 230vac, compared to the voltage over here. So the test can be a bit optimistic actually.

Maybe I should have said heavy compression at the 110 db trace.

Maybe I should have said heavy compression at the 110 db trace.

More like hard clipping at 110dB... [:o]

Either way, the RT-12d is gonna put out more SPL from 20-30Hz....so all these fantasies about the F113 having more bass aren't founded in reality. I suppose it'll have more bass in the sense that it plays more notes than is present in the source material. [^o)]