2" Driver Tractrix Midhorns Upgrade For Khorns

greg928gts

A lot of the Klipschorn's bass energy is lost through the walls. It's alleviated somewhat if you have them situated into corners that are part of the outside walls of a home -- but a suprising amount of the energy is still transferred into the walls and "lost". With some well built and rigid false corners -- and pulled away from the walls a little, the Klipschorn pulls almost even with the Jubilee. There is no question that the Jubilee is a superior horn, but Klipschorn owners can close the distance somewhat with a little bit of work.

Good parts are expensive, and I don't think anyone should expect an upgrade of this magnitude to come cheap.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With some well built and rigid false corners -- and pulled away from the walls a little, the Klipschorn pulls almost even with the Jubilee. There is no question that the Jubilee is a superior horn, but Klipschorn owners can close the distance somewhat with a little bit of work.

I agree, but would add that there is a difference between the Khorn and the Jubilee in the way the bass is directed to the listener. While the Khorn can be made to sound more like a Jubilee, there is something to be said for how the Khorn fills the room and directs the bass around the sides of the room, rather than straight at the listener. Comparing the bass of the Khorn to the Jubilee is largely about the type of music you like to listen to, how loud you listen to it, and your preference for what some would consider overly strong bass directed right at you from the Jubilee.

The problem I have is I like a lot of both!

Greg

With the A and AA networks, the K55 is allowed to roll off on its own, there are no components that cut the high frequencies from the mid driver. This is why Al said that the A and AA networks are really just balancing networks, not crossovers, because they work with and depend on the characteristics of the particular stock drivers used in the Khorn.

If you put a new midrange driver in place of the K55 that has a frequency response that goes above what the K55 does, you will have two drivers (the mid and the tweet) producing the same frequencies, which obviously would not be good.

Also, different brands of drivers have different impedences and efficiencies, so the network must account for those differences to balance the output of the midrange driver to the rest of the speaker. The amount of balancing that can be done with the stock A and AA networks is limited. The Universal network has the ability to compensate for the differences by offering many different attenuations for the mid driver, a very important feature with the two-inch driver upgrade.

Nice work Greg!! Very interesting upgrade. I have a question that is probably best answered by DeanG. Where do the ALK Jr networks fit into this discussion? Will they work with the 2" drivers??

The only real difference between the ALK and ALKJr is that the ALK has a 12dB/octave midrange and the ALKJr has a 6dB/octave midrange. I wanted something like the ALK (adjustable squawker), but with the somewhat livelier and more engaging midrange of the Type A and AA. At any rate, the answer is "yes" -- you can use that network with Greg's set up.