ALK Type B build

bluesboy

I've got all the parts together to build a pair of networks for a friend of mine who has a pair of 1975 Cornwalls that have the original crossovers in them. It might take me a few days to get them done as I am actually backed with work right now, which is unusual for construction in these parts at this point in time. I'll post more pictures as the build progresses.

post-15074-13819445888408_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any idea what the price for all the components was? I've been wanting to do this for a couple of years, but have so many other projects i've just never got around to it. In the mean time copper product prices have been on a steady incline and the cost of this build has increased quite a bit.

Jeremy

Making some progress here. All of the inductors are attached to the board with 8'' cable ties. I glued the caps in place with a hot glue gun. There is a lot of stuff packed onto this board. I would say that this network is slightly more of a challenge to assemble than a ALK universal. Anybody that wants to build these for their cornwalls the plans can be downloaded ALK's website. I noticed a thread the other day where guys were telling about their first Klipsch experiences. This is kind of my tribute the first cornwalls I listened to back in 1976. Hopefully these babies will bring em back to life.

post-15074-13819445953458_thumb.jpg

Making some progress here. All of the inductors are attached to the board with 8'' cable ties. I glued the caps in place with a hot glue gun. There is a lot of stuff packed onto this board. I would say that this network is slightly more of a challenge to assemble than a ALK universal. Anybody that wants to build these for their cornwalls the plans can be downloaded ALK's website. I noticed a thread the other day where guys were telling about their first Klipsch experiences. This is kind of my tribute the first cornwalls I listened to back in 1976. Hopefully these babies will bring em back to life.

Those look very nice bluesboy and you are such a thoughtful young man. I did have to drink the Makers Mark by myself while you were hooking those up today[:P]

I've hung around the Klipsch forums before but just registered to post concerning the crossovers bluesboy is building for me. As he says I've never had the backs off my '75 Cornwalls and I had no idea until I saw his pictures how much there was to them. They look great. I know he does quality work as I'm still using a record/equipment rack that he custom built for me 30 years ago. Bluesboy and I have quite a history with this pair of Cornwalls. Powered by a McIntosh MC2205 we used to listen to them at ear shattering levels. We actually used the full 200wpc of the Mac on occasion and, as efficient as the Cornwalls are, they were still unharmed by that much wattage. I have since gotten a much more suitable MC225 (25wpc tube amp) that I am very happy with. I have long suspected that they could use a refreshing or upgrade to the crossovers and am anxious to hear them. I've got plenty of Oban here, or I'll buy the single malt of your choice, and we'll give them a good workout the next time your back on the west coast bluesboy.

Welcome hcman. I've heard bluesboy speak of you often......most of it good[;)] I have been doing his quality control for some time now since I have no skills of my own....and those xovers are going to be top notch. About that Oban....do you think you could mail it to the east coast? Get Don to tell you about our 3 cheap amp blind testing we did yesterday. Those Niles switches are niffty.

Again....Welcome!

Thanks for the welcome Tarheel. I've got a few stories concerning a more youthful bluesboy, but this is hardly the place for tales of debauchery. I'll take that Oban shipment under consideration. As a former Postal worker I'm aware of the prohibitions on alcohol shipment and how to evade them. I'd really like to make a lengthy roadtrip east to visit blueboy. Speaking of debauchery and roadtrips, you might get Don to tell about trips to Bellingham, Vegas and LA..

Nice meeting you

Ahh debauchery..........Hcman and I certainly had our share back in those days. Unfortunately, Forum decorum prohibits me from exposing the horrid details here. But, Tarheel, I'll fill you in on the gorry details next listening session. By the way, I just got the last resistors today, so one board is done...I'll probably get the other board sometime this weekend.