Audyssey Rocks!

ClaudeJ1

So it took me less than 2 hours to transfer all my wiring and figure out how my new Onkyo TX-SR 706 works (Yes, I do RTFM. I had what I though was a pretty darn impressive sounding surround sound before in 5.1. See my Avatar for the last setup. I added big JBL Theater horns instead of the smaller EV's for even cleaner upper midrange. The system Xover and bi amp levels were tweaked as best as possbiel uring an RTA rig with 1/12th octave resolution.

I had to invert polarity on my front VMPS twin subs to get a smooth instead of a peaky response and the rear Khorn clone bins rounded out the sub bass coming from 4 corners of the room. After all this:

Nothing could prepare me for the improvment that happened AFTER I went thought the Auyssey Multi EQ (Automatic) setup. Even when I listen to 2-ch stereo, the difference is ASTOUNDING.

Heck before this, I didn't like to turn on my subs for music because I thought it mushed up the bass from my twin 4-way "mutt stacks" (see Avatar). Now that all the satellites/subs Xover points have been established (all different), all the frequency and time domain EQ applied, and the Dynamic Loudness compensation applied, I'm going back to listen to all my favorite CD's and concert DVD's all over again. It's simply amaing.

It's the best $538 I ever spent on electronics upgrade, for sure. I can't wait to add the extra 2 channels for 7.1 and upgrade to Blue Ray HD Video projection.

Also, the best part is that the receiver has a +18 db headroom indicated from the volume control display. Most of the time, I'm listening to -20 to -30 db, and that's with the speaker setup gains turned DOWN by 10 db. So I'm basically listening to about 100 Milliwatts (0.1 Watts) per channel with 1000X times that available for dynamics. Man I love BIG HORNS.