Price Range For New Veneer

luckyduck

Good morning all! In general, how much could I expect to pay for having my Klipsch Fortes re-veneered? Thanks! Towards the end of the year I'm thinking of adding some of the upgrades to my speakers that I've read about in the forum and I'm trying to put together a ballpark figure. Have a great day everybody.

[:D]

To have someone do it for you can be a little 'pricy'. You can do it yourself relatively inexpensively. Prices for common species (walnut, oak, birch, etc.) range from $50 to $80 dependent upon the source, etc. I recommend www.joewoodworker.com to start with. DIY? Use "Heatlock" glue. Easy to use, forgiving, etc. Only use "paperbacked" veneer. Many reasons, but the simple explanation is that it does not shrink, crack etc. later. For basic rundown of what to do look at: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/109693.aspx The thread deals with Heresy rebuilds, but principles remain the same. Discusses chips, nicks, filler, sanding tech, etc.

G'luck Duck!!

[H]

Thank you once again Groomlakearea51 for the guidance. Yes, $760.00 would be out of my price range. Here are a few photographs. Overall, there are vast areas of the cabinets that are perfect. Just a few places here and there keeping them from looking like they just came out of the box. The grill cloth and badges are mint.

Posted Image

I'd be happy to, but first someone has to tell be how to upload the photos.

Thanks.

Click on the reply button. At the top hit the "Options" tab. Click on the "Add/Update", find the picture on your computer. Please try to keep the picture somewhere around 800x800, just easier for people with dial-up. Next you might have to scroll to the right to hit the "Save" button. And make sure you have some text in the message and hit "Post". Remember don't hit the "Preview" as it will not show your picture.

Good luck,

James

lucky duck...two things about yours...that should be black laquer paint over Oak...the oak might have some blemishes but it is possible to remove the laquer andrefinish the oak and have some nice looking speakers...perhaps a bit of black will stay in the pores of the wood giving it a different look but still nice...

it doesn't look from my monitor that those are chips or gouges...just that the black laquer is gone...Groom or others know the exact type of black laquer paint used by Klipsch to redo those in black if that is your wish...

good luck,

Bill

Sorry silversport, I probably should just stick with studying past posts and learning through the use of the search feature. I thought these particular cabinets were a black veneer over mdf board? I'll put more energy into my questions next time, instead of confusing myself further.

LDuck: Looking at the photos, I would concur with Greg as far as a simple cost effective solution.

The factory black laquer on Fortes was applied either over birch, or later in the production runs (post 87-88), ash. Ash was more common for the Forte/ Chorus, Academy series. The construction was 3/4" MDF panels with plywood motor boards and rear panels. The lacquer used is first: a #40 sheen semi gloss primer, then two coats of #40 sheen "production SSG" and a final coat of #40 sheen "clear coat", all from Valspar/OPEX. The laquer primer, the SSG and the clear coat are all a special configuration for Klipsch with a specified amount of thinner and drying agents, etc. so the factory only has to hook up the spray guns and air to the 55 gallon drums. During discussions with OPEX several years ago, they advised me that the specific formulation was for Klipsch, but that the basic laquer, primer and clear were a #40 sheen (semi-gloss). After experimentation.... and compensating for the finishing gun I use, the average temperature and humidity, etc in South Florida, I found that the best "mix" was 10% thinned, and no other additives such as drying or flattening agents.