UPGRADE HERESIES

BigStewMan

i have a pair of Heresy I and a pair of Heresy II. I'm the original owner of the Heresy I, bought in 1983 and have done nothing to them at all. I've been thinking of getting the insides upgraded and am wondering if I can upgrade both models with the same type of crossovers, etc...? Also, what are the suggested upgrades?

BSM.

The difference in the drivers requires different crossovers.

As far as crossovers, I've been pleased with recapping. The effort is more directed to restoring to spec, rather than upgrading. There are folks that do alot in terms of upgraded crossovers, who I am sure will chime in here.

CT125 tweeters, to my ears, are a very nice "upgrade" and sound much better than the K77. CT125 is a drop in replacement. Easy.

I don't know of anyone who has used a CT125 in an HII, though. It might require some work on the motorboard, but don't know how it would do.

BigStew...

Today I should be putting a pair of Bob and Michael Crites CT-125s in a pair of 1978 Heresys that have previously had the crossovers redone by the Crites' a few years ago...I will report back the sound difference...I am trying to match a single Heresy with a DeanG crossover upgrade and a CT-125 so my front three in a Home Theater "match" more closely...

As for the Heresy II...my suggestion (same one I am trying to get my older brother to do with his H IIs) and from the Crites' is to get the titanium tweeter diaphragms into your existing tweeters and get the crossovers updated...that alone will make a huge difference (according to Bob and Michael)...I think this is the way the Heresy IIs were heard in the H I, H II, H III sound off at Crites Manor...Daddy Dee can correct me if I am wrong but those mods on the H IIs were a HUGE benefit...

From what I was told though...the H Is and H IIs sound different from each other...with the improved H IIs sounding more H III like...

Good Luck,

Bill

As cited, the H-I crossover won't work properly for a H-II, and the H-II crossover is on the terminal "cup". The K-76 tweeter driver for the H-II's is not interchangeable with the CT-125. The CT-125 is Bob's improved version of the venerable K-77. Bob has the diaphragms for the K-76, but I think they are on back order at the moment.

Other Heresy "Upgrade" ideas.

The "el grande combo" for a H-II: you can order the H-III complete "kit" from Klipsch parts for about $275 each. Includes everything except the driver screws and the mid-range horn. You simply use your K-701 horn which is what the H-III uses.

Alternatively for the H-II, replace the caps, the tweeter diaphragms, and replace the woofers with the K-28's (H-III's). The new woofers will really make an improvement.

For the H-I's, fresh caps, new diaphragms, or alternatively the CT-125, and make sure the back is sealed. You can also use the K-28 with excellent bass improvement.

Remember there are two versions of the H-I. Those made before late 1983 - early 1984 and those made from late 1983 through 1985. The latter used a K-24 woofer, a K-53/701 midrange (same as the H-II), but still used the K-77, and the crossover was an E2. The primary reason for the E2 was the midrange change.