people with multiple subs.... Pls help me !!!

viggnesh

Dear friends. I ordered a rf83 system with the rt12d sub... I got a good deal on them but I only got the rs52 for surrounds... I love rich and powerful bass and I want to another sub to my system.. Am building a dedicated room 15 feet width by 22 feet long... My receiver will be Sunfire tgr401... I am thinking of using a Y splitter to connect two subs... But the problem is:

Am getting a superb deal on rt10d.. Almost 40% off.. I know that for two subs to sync well it is better if they are same.

1. Will I have any issues if I team up both if the above mentioned??

2. Am I better of with rt 12 as my second sub??

The dealer does not have any more rt12 d in stock.. So it's either rt10 or just one rt12d..

If rt10 and 12 would work well together then I will get my rt10d.. But if it is going to limit my rt12d then am better off with just one, save up and wait for the dealer to stock up...

Please help me guys.. I wud be honoured... Tks in advance

I would wait and save for the second sub to be identical to the first. I have read articals saying it makes a difference and I have read where it didn't make a diffrence if the subs were different sizes or not.

I have two Identical subs and I feel it's alot easier to set them up properly.

I will be in the process of testing out different subs to see how it works. I want to add something different to see how it sounds.

The person who is building my box asked if it would be ok if it wasnt ready on the day we agreed on. I'm not sure when I will get around to testing.

• Like 1

Identical in some aspects but the rt12d willbe able to play deeper and a bit louder. The thing with multiple subs is that if you have a weaker one and a stronger one, adding both will just enhance the bass of the weaker one. Meaning that the overall depth will be lost and you will hear mostly the range in which the weaker sub can hear. Say the rt12d plays solid to 25 hertz and the rt10d plays to 32 hertz (I made this number up) you will not hear as much 25 hertz now as much as the 32 hertz and up range. Also I would not suggest the y adapter but use the rt12-d input out which utilizes a microphone that can calibrate two or more subwoofers.

To piggyback off what Hamp said......... I have two subs (see sig), and obviously they're different. The biggest problem I ran into is that the Sub 12 is far superior in both output and power. So it was a pain in the *** getting the subs to "get along nicely". BUT, OTOH, once I did get them to blend, it sounded very nice. I feel that the 10 punches, and the 12 digs if you know what I mean. But like Hamp said, I would go with identical subs. That's my plan when my money's right....... to get another sub 12

I have a 15' sealed sub & a klipsch ksw 12" sub & once I had them in opposite corners I had no problem setting them up together , I don`t no if having one sealed & one not mad it easier to set up or not but it wasn`t to difficult to do but from what I`ve read 2 identical sub`s is ideal & if you can wait for another 12" sub that would be the way to go IMHO.

I have a 15' sealed sub & a klipsch ksw 12" sub & once I had them in opposite corners I had no problem setting them up together , I don`t no if having one sealed & one not mad it easier to set up or not but it wasn`t to difficult to do but from what I`ve read 2 identical sub`s is ideal & if you can wait for another 12" sub that would be the way to go IMHO.

I have been wondering about a sealed and a ported subs playing together. How does it sound together? I have been planning on adding a sealed 10 inch to my current two Sub-12's. I have been thinking of adding this for awhile now, been too busy to really do it.

• Like 1

To me the combination worked out well, I started out with the sealed 15" but it still didn`t have the depth or volume that I was wanting, I have a 15' x 30' room with a hallway to boot so I figured I needed the other sub to get the room properly pressurized , I did not have the room for another 15" so I got the 12" ( didn`t think about it being ported at the time ) but I think they work great together I`m pretty satisfied with how they sound the 15" is clean & accurate & 12" just adds more to it gives it more depth & help`s fill the room with out having to crank up the bass & making it sound boomy or strained

Greetings,

I have 4 subs. 2 Palladium and 2 RW-12d's. The 2 Palladiums come off my pre/pro using a y splitter and work fine. The 2 rw12d's are each slaved off the palladium. All are set at bypass mode, meaning I use the crossover in the pre/pro and all are set at 0 phase and all are set to "flat". The only trouble I had was matching the output of the 2 rw12d's to the palladiums. As soon as I slaved the rw's there output dropped, so I had to drive the amps harder in the slaved subs. Not sure if this helps, but it's my $0.02. 4 subs is very very smooth and very accurate. I have them in a sall room (13' x 18' with 11' ceilings) I thought it was overkill at first, but once I got them set right, I'll always have more bass than I need.

Klipsch.......my favorite disease!!!!!!!

Scott

Hay I thought this may help some that are considering multiple sub`s this is from audioaholics.com Editorial Note on Multiple Subwoofers

Multiple subwoofers are a good choice to smooth frequency response by minimizing room modal behavior through cancellation. Strategic placement of the subs at opposing nodal points for frequencies that trouble the listening area can be used to nullify the worst dips and peaks from the room modes. This is a distinct advantage over equalization, which can only trim peaks but not fill dips.

My own experience with running multiple subs has been a stark improvement with smoother frequency response, improved bass detail, and increased depth at the bottom end beyond what a single well placed sub can muster.

I am including several links where this topic is discussed in greater detail and also an
based spread sheet that calculates modes for a rectangular room:

Great info! Thanks flaming eye. I had no idea there was so much to know. I feel good about my 4 subs and confirm there locations within my room dimensions. Very interesting read.

In the end, it's all about what sounds good to you!

Thanks for educating me today.

Scott