Advice on front & center speakers w/budget of $1,500

gbrlex

We are putting together a system that will include only the front floor standing speakers and center channel in a HT setup. My friend has been looking at Axiom speakers and I have recommended that he try Klipsch. I'm not that familiar with the new products, since my system is KLF 30's and a C-7.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the responses. The room size is about 14X22 and the mix is about 50/50 music and movies. He is using a mid level Denon receiver without a sub.

Used would be a definite consideration, if we could find them within driving distance of Columbia, SC. I've heard too many reports of damage when shipping any kind of speaker without having the original shipping containers..

Used would be a definite consideration, if we could find them within driving distance of Columbia, SC. I've heard too many reports of damage when shipping any kind of speaker without having the original shipping containers..

That is the long part on this journey, being able to wait for the right pair in your area. I was lucky to find and purchase three pairs of Heritage for a good price, something that I was willing to spend, and a reasonable distance with the good help of forum members.

If your buddy doesn't have the patience then I would definitely go the Reference route. I started with my RF-83 setup as my first Klipsch speakers and have added from there.

James

• Moderators

I believe that sale is long gone, which had the RC-64 at $599 or something like that.

Yes, Vanns had the cherry finish for $599 since Klipsch is no longer making them in the cherry finish. Vanns sold out of them. I was able to pick mine up through my local dealer at the $599 price before they were all gone. World Wide Stereo also had them for $599 but it appears they have marked them back up to $999.

2 choices

A -If you are going reference- expand your budget to 2100-2300 Buy a set of Rf 83s and a RC64 center- just too good to pass up if you are inclined in that direction- you will need good electronics to run the stuff. The budget is just too close to the best of the reference hardware to compromise. Shop smart and you can find a RC64 for 6 bills and a new/used set of RF83s for 1500-1700.

B - Buy 2 pairs of used Cornwalls from the garage or CL for 1400-1600 total. Sell the extra speaker on the garage for 350-400.Put 300 bucks in your pocket for a better receiver or a bluray .Cornwalls make great fronts and centers. They do not require a ton of power- very efficent. The gateway drug to audio euphoria. If you do not plan to buy a sub I would strongly consider this option.Killer bass response.

It it was my money------B