5.1 to 7.1

derekd2

I've had my all klipsch setup for about 3 months or so, and it is great. I've lasted this long, but now I think I'm getting hit by that upgrade bug you guys all talk about. Currently I am running a 5.1 system with RF82 fronts, an RC62 center, RB61 surrounds and an RW12D subwoofer. It's all driven by a yamaha RX-V1900, which does 7.1 and even allows a couple extra speakers to get hooked up above the front speakers (presence speakers). Completely unnecessary...yeah, and I love it so I'll get those way down the road, but now I'm mainly trying to figure out what to do with my current speakers and how to best upgrade to 7.1. I could keep everything the same and get some RS52s for side surrounds and shift the RB61s back, or upgrade the fronts to 63s or 83s and shift the 82s to the side. I'm fairly new to this and am curious what some more experienced klipsch fans suggest. Also, what do you guys think about amplifiers, do they add enough improvement to justify the cost. This upgrade bug could end up costing me a bit over the next couple years...

Hello, and Welcome to the forum.

That's what make this so great, being able to upgrade to fit your needs as they change.

What is missing with your current setup that you are looking to upgrade? First off what size room is your current setup in? Is it only for HT? How far away from the back wall do you sit? The last question is rally for the ideal is the other two channel are worth it.

I would say YES to the external amp question. You an go a few routes with this, only do a 3-channel, your fronts and center, or go for a five-channel. I would lean more to an external amp first and see how you like the sound.

James

Well for now I am in an apartment (can't get it too loud after 9) but my girlfriend and I are probably moving into a mother-in-law apartment off a house that my friends are living in, and the room is quite big, and we'll be able to really turn it up! Eventually I'll have a nice theater room but since I have a 7.1 receiver now, I might as well add onto it sooner rather than later. I was thinking about a 3 channel amp eventually since my receiver has more than enough power to drive the remaining speakers and they aren't as important as the front 3 anyway. So many possibilities of things to buy!

Just my 2 cents. I personally would hold off on 7.1 until more movies come out with it. Even on BD, I was a little disappointed in the small amount of BD's that are true 7.1. More than DVD for sure, but not enough to justify.............

I ran 7.1 for about 3 months, then down sized to 6.1 for about 3 months, and now my sytem is what you see in my sig. And I honestly don't miss the rear surrounds at all. And about amplifiers. IMHO separate amps definitely do add "more" to the sound than receivers alone do. I know you don't see one in my sig, but thats because I just sold one to get some money for "other" needs.............

So many possibilities of things to buy!

That is the truth and the evil thing about this, when will it end..... NEVER... [6]

Like stated already that you might get more out of your current setup with just the addition of an external amp. Even if you go with a five channel amp that might add that much of an extra push that you are looking at.

James

Thanks for the responses guys, I guess it's time to start researching some amps as my first priority. Probably going with a 3 channel from what I've looked at but who knows what deals will pop up. I just wasn't expecting them to be so expensive, because I want a good one to go with my future RF63s or 83s and future RC64. And in the meantime I will try to stockpile a few extra dollars and keep an eye out for that klipsch deal that I just can't resist. Anyone else not that impressed with the jump from 5.1 to 7.1??

• Moderators

Probably going with a 3 channel from what I've looked at but who knows what deals will pop up. I just wasn't expecting them to be so expensive, because I want a good one to go with my future RF63s or 83s and future RC64.

I'm looking at the Emotiva XPA-3 for my RF-83's and RC-64. Very well regarded around here and you really can't beat their pricing. 30 day money back guarantee, sometimes they run free shipping deals. Looks like a great bang for your buck.

The improvement with 7.1 is noticeable in a big room where you can ideally place the side and rear speakers per Dolby, DTS, or THX recommendations. There are several signal processing methods in most receivers or preamp/processors to generate the rear channel signal from a 5.1 mix. I'm using only Pro Audio amps now since my last "home theater" amplifier failure. Check out the Samson Servo amps at Sweetwater.com. I have eight of them.

I went from 5.1 to 7.1 wirh my previous reference system and stayed with it with my present Heritage system. I have a 14 x 25 room and it made a noticable difference. Personally I love it. Nothing wrong with 5.1 through 7 speakers and a sub. There will be more and more 7.1 bluray stuff coming out down the road. The 82s would make great sides if you have the room. I have some as new RB81s and RB 61 s for sale if you need more stuff as Ihave gone to Heritage and no longer need them.Check the garage.

That emotiva amp looks great, youthman, let us know if/when you do end up getting it. I am going to shop around and see if there are any good used 3 channel amps but may end up with that one as well. As far as going up to 7.1 I think that will take a backseat to the amplifier. I think my tentative plan is to upgrade the fronts and use the 82s as the side surrounds, I'll make the room. Got a nice look from the girlfriend when I told her I was going to use them as side surrounds, though

Got a nice look from the girlfriend when I told her I was going to use them as side surrounds, though

Sorry to say the more you stick around here that is going to be a common site.... I'm sure you'll get use to it... [:P]

James

BTW, Seattle is a very nice place, I vacationed out there 2 years ago..