EV Aristocrats woodgrain?

seti

I picked up these Aristocrats a couple months ago.It is a simple back loaded corner horn. Just got around to cleaning and oiling them down today. They have Wolverine LT 12 3 way driver. Not the best but nice vintage sound. Currently looking for documentation and construction info. The wood is very thick and very sturdy. I'd like to get into the cab to check out the drivers but it seems tight as a drum. Does a three way driver require a crossover? Does anyone know what woodgrain this speaker is or how to get into it without screwing it up?

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

There should be four 30 degree angled wood screw on the bottom front facade that screw up into the right and left side, and the rear of the front motorboard facing. The grille can then slide up, out, and voila, the Wolverine is exposed. The one I saw had front bolts screwed through the board and T nuts.

There should be four 30 degree angled wood screw on the bottom front facade that screw up into the right and left side, and the rear of the front motorboard facing. The grille can then slide up, out, and voila, the Wolverine is exposed. The one I saw had front bolts screwed through the board and T nuts.

This was a kit. I just noticed where the variable tone control was supposed to be it is in the wrong location . Thanks for the info I'm going to look for them right now.

I had to remove the trim pieces around the grill before I could remove the motorboard. the screw were just under the trim pieces. Everything came apart just fine. Attached some new zipcord while I was at it. The drivers seem fine.

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0619.JPG

The only crossover in there is probably a blocking cap to the tweeter-just my guess. Looks like our old friend the T35 horn in there.

Neat cabinet, yes circular cut birch sounds right.

So how does this work- direct radiator, slot loaded rear firing horn port? neato!

Pretty find, that's a handsome addition to any collectoin. How's the sound? There has to be a nice synergy in a single coaxial speaker, like a Tannoy.

Yeah cool threads. The speakers were very flexible with many options for the consumer. The builder slapped some ugly stain on them. Tempted to refinish them but not sure.

There is an Aristocrat in the PWK Audio History museum. Fortunately the prices aren't too high and these can be had for $100ea. The sound reminded me of the corner shorthorn but not as lush on the bottom end as the stephens trusonic 15. I listened to the aristocrats with my Scott 299D which needs restoration plus parts and Garrard 301. We spun some Martin Denny and it was a cool vintage sound. I'll hook it up to some new gear and take some measurements next time the Jubilee clones leave the corners. I did find the crossover under one of those Wolverine caps. I saw two resistors and a cap. Probably wouldn't hurt to replace at least the cap.

I don't think that's a bad stain job at all. There's not a lot you can do with Birch. Looks like my LSBR's which were finished in Special Walnut by Minwax by the original owner. (nothing like talking to the original owner). If you need to do some touch up you might start with that.

M

The Aristocrat was a rear-loaded corner-horn, nominally designed by Paul Klipsch, and like a Shorthorn, really only gives its best when tucked into a corner. You can see some of the flare going backwards in one of the pictures. The Aristocrat was in EV's line for decades, and could be fitted with anything 12 inch - I've seen them loaded with JBLs, Altecs, Jensens and the occasional Japanese speaker. The "full dress" version came with a 12W, a T-25 and a T-35. There was also a non-corner version called a "Marquis," designed for people who didn't have opposing corners. You don't see many Marquis these days, for some reason.

The Wolverines were EV's entry level speaker, and quite a value, then and now. The tweeter in the middle there is a T-35w, which was a lighter and less efficient version of the T-35 and T-35b. The big thing to watch with the Wolverines is they have very limited power handling capabilities (20 watts or so) and are hard to get fixed these days.

Congratulations on the purchase - you'll be happy with them.

The Aristocrat was a rear-loaded corner-horn, nominally designed by Paul Klipsch, and like a Shorthorn, really only gives its best when tucked into a corner. You can see some of the flare going backwards in one of the pictures. The Aristocrat was in EV's line for decades, and could be fitted with anything 12 inch - I've seen them loaded with JBLs, Altecs, Jensens and the occasional Japanese speaker. The "full dress" version came with a 12W, a T-25 and a T-35. There was also a non-corner version called a "Marquis," designed for people who didn't have opposing corners. You don't see many Marquis these days, for some reason.

The Wolverines were EV's entry level speaker, and quite a value, then and now. The tweeter in the middle there is a T-35w, which was a lighter and less efficient version of the T-35 and T-35b. The big thing to watch with the Wolverines is they have very limited power handling capabilities (20 watts or so) and are hard to get fixed these days.

Congratulations on the purchase - you'll be happy with them.

Thanks for the information. The speakers were basically free so they are a real bargain. I'll get them into the corner sometime this week. The Jubilee clones there right now 250lbs ea. They are a pain to move.

This measurement is with one aristocrat in the corner with pink noise. Mic is about three feet away. The wolverine driver boasts 40hz to 18khz. Integral crossover 3500hz. Hmm sound better than it looks but I am still learning about how curves look as to how they sound.

aristocrat_corner.jpg

Here is a measurement of my Khorns in the same room. These aren't smoothed or prettied up either.

khornpinkpeekhold.jpg

I know my room has some errors. By running curves on multiple speakers in the same room I can compare and know where my big problems are that I need to work on. I'll run some curves outside as well.