Tips on painting metal exterior entry doors?

Joe Shmoe

I had a friend stop over today and *big pause*... lol he says he has a paint sprayer I could borrow?[:^)] What do you guys think of me tackling this project again on my own with a sprayer? I wish he would have told me before I went the brush route!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Strip both sides and then shoot one side at a time. You'll never use a brush or roller again... Just make sure the door is lying flat, if you've never shot before. I don't want to hear about you getting a case of the runs.... The graphics for the stripper was very nice, the graphic for the runs...we don't need to see...[8-)].

You'll need to shoot a good coat of primer after stripping off the factory finish.

Joe.....I know you're gonna try spraying the door, however.....in all of this thread, I've never seen you mention what brand/type of paint you're using. The reason I mention that is this......

Like many folks, I thought (to some degree) paint was paint. My method to buying paint was not buying dirt cheap Wal Mart nor expensive Sherwin-Williams type stuff. I figured the middle-of-the-road stuff was just fine.

Then time came for me to paint some trim in my last house and since I wanted the trim to match the white trim in the house, I got a hold of the painter that did the house and asked him what to use. He said he had a leftover half gallon that he'd drop off and it would have the info on the can should I need more. He said that he used this paint on the white trim on all the houses he does.

So I use the stuff on a small chair rail project in a powder room and Joe.....OMG! I have never seen paint go on like that nor "lay down" like it did. I can't describe how the paint flowed off the brush, but it seemed like it flowed off so smoothly and it had very little brush strokes. The best part was 10 minutes later when the paint seemed to have leveled out leaving practically NO brush strokes. I'm not kidding you - was like magic.

My conclusion??? There's A LOT to be said about higher quality paints. It's crazy that it took me so long to find that out. Oh - the paint is Sherwin-Williams Quality Craft.

Tom

Eh...I bought Behr Premium Plus Ultra. It's what they suggested at Home Depot.

I agree part of the problem is the paint. In talking with my first applicant to take over the job today, he also said the paint is too thick, and suggested what fini already said about using Floetrol. He was an pretty nice older guy, semi retired. What got me though is that he said he would use a brush also if he were to paint the door along with about 5 other doors I need to do?? My thinking was that spraying would be the way to go. Towards the end of our conversation he admitted he doesn't like to spray anymore because of lung problems he now has. [:^)] I suppose that's common in older guys that had careers in painting.

Anyway I don't know that I want to have him paint all the doors if he's going to brush them. I would have gave him the job today if he was going to spray them, as I no doubt would think he could use the money being retired. I'm all about helping the small independent guy.

He gave me a qoute of $600.00 to paint 4 interior hollow core doors (off white), and 2 metal exterior doors (half plum, half off white) and one other exterior door (all off white). Total of 7 doors.

Your'e probably long overdue for a visit to the states anyway aren't ya Mike? [;)]

Well figuring that he was going to use a roller/brush I would imagine that's a bit more labor involved than just spraying them. I thought it was a bit high, but... like I said I didn't have a problem helping him out also.

I'm just thinking of having another go at it on one of the less important doors and using the floetrol stuff to see what kind of difference that makes.

Joe,if you recall in my first sentence on tips I advised against one coat type thick paint.That's the first mistake made by most people.Flotrol is fine,I just thin mine with water.I've brushed ext doors on many $1,000,000+ homes,never had a complaint.I've also never met a painter in 30 years that sprayed ext doors as regular routine.The only ones spraying doors were the ones spraying doors,siding,brick and anything else within 20 feet(beginners).

There's nothing wrong with spraying,it's just not the norm.I suppose if someone ever ask(never have)I would charge double or triple and oblige.Good Luck.

Yes I did read that you recommended against that stuff, but by the time I noticed it was what it was.... I was already knee deep in the project. As for spraying, I just thought it would have been easier to have the doors set up in my garage and then they could just spray away?

I did pick up come Floetrol last night & sanded the door. I'm not going to quite throw in the towel yet. I just decided that I shouldn't be spending so much money to get this stuff done with the way things are right now.

I'm feeling pretty good right now about using the Floetrol, I think it will do the trick.

I think that anyone that has shot a few automobiles, or done any kind of body work at all and has a good handle on spraying would agree it will provide an excellent finish. Fifteen minutes of prep time and three minutes to shoot per side, another five to rinse out the gun and you're done...with an excellent finish, What's there not to like? A newbie should probably lay the door flat, while someone w/ experience would stand the door up. I'm not so sure that I'd be using a house paint over a metal door anyway. Certainly not where I live, but not every one has to deal with salt air...

Here's a question for you...Would anyone here paint their car with a brush? Why not? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't get good results with a brush, but with the labor/time factor, and finish results, why would you? I'm not looking to start an argument, but if there's a valid point I'm missing and need to be educated on, hey I'm game to learn. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong....

Need a cheap gun?? These are often on sale for $20 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43430

Here's a question for you...Would anyone here paint their car with a brush? Why not? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't get good results with a brush, but with the labor/time factor, and finish results, why would you? I'm not looking to start an argument, but if there's a valid point I'm missing and need to be educated on, hey I'm game to learn. It wouldn't be the first time I was wrong....

Need a cheap gun?? These are often on sale for $20 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=43430

Traditionally speaking a door would be made of wood,so painting with a brush and some very light strokes properly done look natural.If you had Fred Flintstones car brushing would look ok.If someone removed all their doors and lined em' up in a spray booth I'd rather spray than brush myself.If painting one or two I'd have one painted(about 10-15 minutes) by the time you could get your spray rig set up.Either way is fine,if you have the experience.