Should individual speaker crossover frequencies match?

iTide

Bottom line,

Just make sure you get the Center Channel speaker that matches your Floor standards. That would be the RC 25...............then Enjoy. Don't get rapped around the pole with the Numbers...........

offer phenomenal sound and cosmetic appeal, but at an even more affordable price.

RC-25 Specifications

frequency response 69Hz-20kHz ±3dB
power handling 125 w max continuous (500 w peak)
sensitivity 95dB @ 2.83 volts/1 meter
nominal impedance 8 ohms compatible
crossover frequency HF: 2250Hz
MF: 250Hz
tweeter K-137 1" (2.54cm) Titanium dome compression driver
high frequency horn 5" square 90° x 60° Tractrix® Horn
woofer Two K-1127-OV 5.25" (13.34cm) Cerametallic® cone / cast polymer frame
enclosure material MDF
enclosure type Bass reflex via dual front-firing ports
input connections 2 sets of binding post speaker terminals (connected via brass strap jumpers)
dimensions 6.5" (16.5cm) x 20.5" (52.1cm) x 9" (22.9cm)
mounting Uptilt and Downtilt Foot
weight 19 lbs. (8.6kg)
finishes Black Ash woodgrain vinyl
built from 2003
built until 2006

If you stick with speakers within the same series and as close as possible to the model (Such as the RC-25, RC-35 and RS-25, RS-35) you'll be fine.

You'll probably find that center speakers and front main speakers that match each other will have slightly different crossover points even if they have the same drivers. Cabinet size, speaker orientation (center speaker laying flat versus floorstanding/bookshelf sitting upright) has a bearing on what crossover points are needed and work best.

Well, this is why I ask. I found a GREAT deal on the RC 52 and know that it is not what matches my RF 25's exactly, but I can't hardly pass it up when I can get it for less money than a RC 25. The Crossover frequency for the RC 52 is 1400, 1600. It seems the reviews are better for the 52 than the 25. I suppose if it is really bad I can sell it and easily get my money back for what I am paying. Thanks for your replies in my search for my HT.

It is the timbre' or tonality of the speaker that you need to match not the individual crossover points. Crossover points don't mean anything in relation to a speakers tone. The Center speaker is the MOST critical one since the other speakers are anchored to it so having a matching is extemely important.

Will the other one sound bad - No. Will you notice the difference in timbre' with pans back and forth across the front stage from DVD soundtracks you absolutely will.