(noob)Little confused about Subwoofer set -up. Need help :(

osmosis600

ok so i got a ksw-12 sub. and a yamaha reciver. wich has to inputs for front speakers.what is the best to connect these up. should i .

A. get a subwoofer cable and "y" adapter and hook it up to the recivers sub out.

or

B. just use regular cable and hook it up from the L/R (sub) to my second L/R front speaker input.

im a little confused on how this goes. and will it make a diffrence? i mean will the reciv. recognize my sub at all?

• Moderators

The speaker inputs on the back of the sub are sometimes used when you are using small speakers as main speakers. You come out of the receiver, into the sub, then out of the sub and to your front speakers. There is a high pass crossover that filters much of the bass out so that the small speakers just receive the mids and highs.

Regardless, use the sub out on the receiver and the line in on the back of the sub. Your receiver should allow you to set your front speakers to small or large.

• Moderators

If you experience hum or unwanted noise from your sub use a shielded cable from http://www.monoprice.com.

I think I'll just buy one myself. I have a hum in my sub. It comes through both of my subs, even when only the power plug is connected and no rca is connected so I know it's a grounding issue in the house. New sub cable is worth a try. Do you see any Y connectors on Monoprice? I like the "fancy" plugs.