Revisiting the audio past...

Mallette

Correct on both points, but with that crappy mechanical design you'd only have improved the crosstalk and stabilized the tracking. Wow and flutter and failure rate would have remained terrible. I made 25 bucks or so tax free every weekend fixing those things at a dollar each. I had some brought in in bags.

Dave

I had a TOTL Yamaha KX-930 3-head cassette deck that sounded stellar, but later developed major transport failure, so was sold as is.

Back in the mid '80s I purchased a new Nakamichi DRAGON 3-head autoreverse deck and also recorded all my LPs onto TDK SA, MA, and Maxell equivalent cassettes (Dolby C, natch). After 25 years, these cassettes still sound as good as the day they were recorded! I'm still in awe after listening to my tape of Dire Straits Brothers In Arms (from my Denon DP-62L manual 'table and Stanton 981HZS MM cartridge) on my current Nakamichi DR-1...WOW! You'd think you were listening to a CD if it weren't for the occassional audible tick and pop.

The only prerecorded cassettes I own are a few digital recordings from InSync Labs of various piano works, dubbed to TDK SAs using Dolby C from a bank of Nakamichi MR-1s (I believe) in their studio. Very good, but not the end-all in sound quality IMHO.

It's true, though...it is all about the source material. My cassettes are all stored upright in their cases in my bedroom closet away from dust and heat. I see no reason why they can't last another 25 years or more!

My Nakamichi LX-5 is in constant use, I use it mainly to record the odd gem on some of the other wise less than memorable LP's that I get, then return them to the thrift store. Storage space for Lp's is getting tight. Last week I picked up 30+ sealed Maxell Metal tapes at the thrift store $10 for the lot.

My Nakamichi LX-5 is in constant use, I use it mainly to record the odd gem on some of the other wise less than memorable LP's that I get, then return them to the thrift store. Storage space for Lp's is getting tight. Last week I picked up 30+ sealed Maxell Metal tapes at the thrift store $10 for the lot.

Wowee. Those thing sold for over 10 shekels each back in the day, and we were glad to get them. I remembered what all the fuss was about when I saw the levels on the metal tapes I made. Peaks to +10db without a hint of clipping. Those babies were made to run HOT!

That's 10/12 db more headroom than yer basic rust tape. 70db or better SN with dolby C, pretty digital silent background levels.

Nice score...

Dave

Wowee. Those thing sold for over 10 shekels each back in the day, and we were glad to get them. I remembered what all the fuss was about when I saw the levels on the metal tapes I made. Peaks to +10db without a hint of clipping. Those babies were made to run HOT!

That's 10/12 db more headroom than yer basic rust tape. 70db or better SN with dolby C, pretty digital silent background levels.

Nice score...

Dave

10 Shekels EACH... I guess I'd better check them out . .

Yezzir, metal tape was the end product of cassette technology, and like the laser turntable, came too late. If your Nak is in top shape, a Dolby C cassette driven to +10 should be as clean and noiseless as digital.

I don't have any plans to make any cassettes, and am, in fact, digitizing the ones I have to DSF. If they weren't awesome I wouldn't bother.

Dave

System at our bungalow. We each threw in something. A Pioneer Quad reciever, 4 Fisher speakers in the corners, Garrard Zero 100 with Shure V15, and Teac 3340 reel to reel. I believe we (3 of us) paid 50.00 each per month for these place. We were at the edge of town and after dark Charlie owned the night. However, since they dropped by, had a few beers, and shared their own idea of a good time with us we really didn't have a problem. OK, don't think I was "consorting," we honestly had no way of know who was who over there and if they didn't approach you with a weapon it only seem prudent to be nice.

Different sort of war..

BTW, the Christmas tree stay up from Christmas until our tour was up in July.

post-9494-13819455639252_thumb.jpg