Help Me Become a Klipsch Fan for Life!

beesonosu

I like a good ramble makes for better detail. I like Olorin am a fan of HK I have an Older 225 which for just 5.1 with no hdmi inputs i think is great. Since then HK has came a long way with adding pre outs and 7.1, and dont for get the hdmi in/outputs for video upscaling. I have read where there coming out with a new model allready, probably wont be until late spring or even fall. Seems like they change regulary. But could probably pick up a 345 for less than 700.00 if shoped around.

nick

Just wanted to say thanks again for all of your recommendations and clarifications. It will probably be a few weeks until I make my big purchase (as I'm planning on coupling it with one of the newer Panasonic plasmas as we get them in. Speaking of new TVs, we just got the LED Samsung TV in a few days ago and it looks really impressive and is only 1.5" thick! Still, I'm partial to plasma. In the meantime, I'll do a lot of reading and research on receivers. I have a feeling that the are probably quite a few receivers I could get that wouldn't lead to buyer's remorse. It doesn't really take a lot of research to find both positive and negative reviews on any of them. I don't work at Best Buy but I do have a credit card with them so I'll be sure to check out their HKs soon. My store only carries Onkyo and Yahama (and Sony and Jenwood, neither of which I'm considering).

If I go with HK, it seems that I'd either go for the 245 or the 345. I'll have to read the differences on them soon. I am a little hesitant about them when I read the wattage specs but I totally trust you guys when you say that they have enough power to run the Synergy 2 Series. HDMI 1.3 (at least 3, preferrably 4 in) is important to me as is something that will work great off the bat and/or has an easy way to upgrade patches, etc. I'll likely whittle it down to a few models and then post again as the time comes. Right now I'm considering the aforementioned HKs, the RXV665, RXV863, and the Onkyo 705/706.

If you go the Onkyo route I'd suggest "last year's" 5 series (705, 805, etc) versus this year's 6 series. The 5s had a much beefier amp section and I've read many others recommending the same thing. The 806 is almost 20 pounds lighter than the 805 that I have. Weight obviously doesn't equal quality but it seems that Onkyo cut back quite a bit for their current models.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry about the thread bump but I just wanted to thank everyone (again!) for their input. I picked up the C2 and the Yamaha 665 two weeks ago and just got my two F2s out of the box a few minutes ago. I'll wait until tomorrow to set them up so, for now, I'll have to be content at just looking at them - and they're pretty sexy. I'm still a little hesitant about the receiver I chose (mainly does it have enough power?) but I think I'll be satisified with the results especially considering it's my first home theater system and a "beginners" one at that. Eventually I'll add at least two S2s and most likely the Sub12 if I decide to go with a Klipsch sub (which I probably will). At some point I may consider getting a seperate amp or upgrading my receiver but I'll see how this works for now.

So, one more dumb question, mainly because I want to hook things up the "right" way. What banana plugs should I use? I saw that someone on another page recommend these (GLS Safe-Connect Series, for those who don't want to go to the link):

http://www.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=BR28&Category_Code=safe_connect

So these are used at the speakers themselves, correct? I'm guessing they're a bit nicer than the cheaper ones found at monoprice. How many would I need for 5 speakers - just 10? Is there any preference in bi-amping (using all four speaker terminals, that is what it is called, right?)

What would I use at my receiver - flex-type connectors? Man, I feel like a dope for asking but I went a little overkill with 12 gauge speaker cable and I found it difficult to hook up when I connected the C2. Then again, it was my first time.[8-|]

Thanks again! Happy Easter everyone! Safe travels and have a great time with your families.

• Moderators

You will find that almost any receiver will drive Klipsch speakers due to their efficiency. Some just do it better and more effortlessly than others.

So these are used at the speakers themselves, correct? I'm guessing they're a bit nicer than the cheaper ones found at monoprice. How many would I need for 5 speakers - just 10?

No sonic benefit to using them over the ones you find at Monoprice. I went with monoprice but Colter pointed out one negative thing about all banana plugs that do not have plastic covers, if they ever touch while your system is on, you run the risk of shorting out something. You can always add electrical tape or heat shrink tubing around them. Either will work great.

Is there any preference in bi-amping (using all four speaker terminals, that is what it is called, right?)

This is highly debated. In my personal experience with my Yamaha and RF-83's, I heard absolutely no difference. This is what they call fools biamp because to truly biamp, you need an active crossover. Not sure what all that entails but have heard it can be quite a pain and expensive to properly setup.

Man, I feel like a dope for asking but I went a little overkill with 12 gauge speaker cable and I found it difficult to hook up when I connected the C2. Then again, it was my first time.

Once you have your banana cables hooked up to your 12 gauge speaker wire, it will be a breeze to hook and unhook the cables from your receiver and the rear of your speakers.

Ask all the questions you want. We all learn from each other.

Hope you and your family has a Happy Easter as well.

• Moderators

Colter knows his connectors...not sure what the "Safe Connects" are, but I'm sure they will work very well.

He's referring to these. I'm assuming they call them safe due to the rubber shielding around them to help prevent from shorting out should they touch together.

• Moderators

I'm assuming that banana plugs and spade connectors are pretty much the same thing

Both do the same thing, just different style connectors. Banana plug goes into the binding post, the spade goes around. I prefer banana plugs myself.

Banana Plug

banana_plug.jpg

Spade Connector

htn.php?z=pgr_menu4spade_speaker.jpg