Help Me Become a Klipsch Fan for Life!

beesonosu

I've really enjoyed reading through this forum and I must say that it has ALREADY helped me a lot. I hate starting new threads (as a new user especially) but, in this case, I think it may be necessary. I tend to ramble at times but I'll try to make it simple and to the point. ANY guidance in the right direction is appreciated!!

My situation:

My main goal is to get a "starter" set that will suffice for a few years. I work for a regional electronics retailer and I get some pretty decent discounts on A/V stuff. I've been wanting a "decent" HT setup for awhile now and I think that this would be a good time to do it (before I quit[A])! I really had no experience with Klipsch before but I absolutely LOVE their sound. My budget is flexible but I'm looking mainly at the Synergy series. We carry the Quintet, F2, F3, C2, S2, B2, Sub 10 and Sub 12. I originally was thinking of getting the Quintet IIIs, the Sub 12 and two F3s. After some reading, however, I realized that this 7.1 system would be a little strange. Right now, I think a 5.1 setup would be the way to go. I've also read that the C3 is near impossible to come by although if I found it, I would "splurge" instead of getting the C2 (although I can pick it up for $135).

I have not yet bought a receiver. I don't believe upscaling is important (in my situation)...but the ability to go 7.1 at some point is. For reasons stated before, I'm looking at Onkyo and Yamaha recievers. The 606B, 705B, 706B, RXV 663, RXV 665, RXV 863, notably.

My current components:

*XBox 360 (I have the HD DVD add-on, which I may use...)

*Toshiba A2

*BDPS550

*HD DVR Cable Box

I would like to hook all of them up with HDMI. I'm leaning towards the Yamaha 665 or an Onkyo for that reason.

I currently use my TV as my computer monitor. I plan on getting another
TV relatively soon but let's assume that I would like the flexibility
of also plugging in my tower or a laptop to my TV - AND use my Klipsch speakers as opposed to the Logitech computer speakers I use currently.

I would say that my setup would be used for 60% movies, 25% TV, 10%
games and 5% music although I can certainly see myself listening to
more music as time goes by. Hence, Sirius and XM-compatibility is a
plus but not a must - are they still at the brink of collapse, anyway?
I don't have an MP3 player yet but it would be super cool if I could use my receiver to play the mp3s I have on my computer.

I'm leaning towards the Sub12, KF3s, C2, and S2s. It would cost me around $1050 before tax.

Would it make a lot more sense to just get the KF2s for $70 less/speaker, thus making everything say "2"? Maybe it's the size difference, but I feel like the KF3s have a more wholesome sound. On the other hand, a C2 for $135 would make due until I can find a more suitable companion. If I couldn't find the C3, would you recommend the C2 or a step up, say a Reference Line center?

Should I even consider the Quintets or do they not play well with others? I consider them a steal for $285 but I'm guessing they won't be quite as good as going with the Fxs? Maybe them and a Sub 10 would suffice for now?

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

Of the receivers I mentioned, what would serve my purpose best?

Who shot J.R.?

If I were to go 3.1 at first, adding the S2s at a later point, what would you reccomend?

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

Disregarding price, with the speakers and receivers I mentioned, what would YOU do?

If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Many blessings to anyone who takes the time to answer my novice questions. Seriously, thanks in advance.

F2 = best bang for the buck, something about the way the network is voiced on that model is spot on. Then work around that. The problem with F3 is also that you can't get the mating C3 any more. I'd stick to the 2 series and buy all matching with S2 side surrounds for starters.

M

Thanks for the quick and helpful replies! I do agree that the F2s are the way to go - I just needed to hear it from someone else!

Tommyboy, I'm assuming your Pioneer is your receiver..what's the Rotel - a preamp?

So are there any recommendations one way or the other between the receivers I mentioned? I think the Yahama 665 would work perfectly for my needs. I can get the 863 for a decent price but I don't think I'll need the extra bells and whistles.

Here's how mine is setup. The Poneer is essentially my processor. The BD player is plugged into it, and then preouts are ran into the Rotel Amp from the Pioneer. (Rotel's only an amp) The receiver powers the surrounds, and the Rotel powers the front 3. Do you need all this for a F2 system to sound great? Absolutely not. The yammy you mentioned will power them just fine!!! And like Olorin said, HK is a great choice also! He actually just bought my HK amp from me...........

I really haven't done any reading on the HK mainly due to my company not carrying it (which is really dumb in my opinion). I certainly don't have to stick with Yamaha or Onkyo though - sound, ease of use and reliability all go before price, at least to a degree. With the aforementioned Synergy 2 lineup, what HK would you recommend? The 3550HD look sweet but may be a little out of my price range considering I can get the Onkyo 705/706 ($510), the 606 ($319), and the Yahama 863 ($577) or 663/665 ($320). What would be comparable in features? I'm thinking the 347 or the 354.

Keep in mind that I'm planning to run everthing with HDMI - so at least 3 in....I'd also like the flexibility to expand to 7.1. I can't quite remember the differences (if noticeable) between HDMI 1.1, 1.3, etc. Should that be a focal point of my research? What should?

Thanks y'all - you've made me feel very welcome here.

P.S. I'm set on getting the F2s, C2, S2s, and Sub 12 for an awesome 5.1. I would just need two more S2s to extend that to a 7.1, correct? What kind of wattage am I looking for as I read on the Klipsch site that a receiver that has too low wattage can hurt the speakers! :)

the main difference is the fact that hdmi 1.3 can carry the new lossless audio formats ( dolby true hd, dts-hd ma), but if you didnt go with a receiver that has 1.3 you can get those formats by the analog outs on your blu-ray.....given the receivers listed i think the onkyo 706 would be nice for the setup...i love the synergy series and onkyo...the reason i would go with the 706 over the 606 is mainly beacuse it has pre-outs if u ever wanted to an external amp to your system

My 550 does have analog outs but (being picky here) I wouldn't mind just using HDMI and being done with it. The less cords the better, right? Still, that gives me options.

I haven't thought about using an external amp but that's only because I have no idea what it truly is or does...so I'm doing a lot of reading on it. Regardless, I like flexibility and it sounds like having pre-outs makes my setup more flexible. Duly noted, thanks!

By the way, I feel like a dork asking these questions which I'm sure many of you answer over and over again on sites like this. I really appreciate it, however, and, although I can't reciprocate in terms of A/V knowledge, I'll find a way somehow.

I really haven't done any reading on the HK mainly due to my company not carrying it (which is really dumb in my opinion). I certainly don't have to stick with Yamaha or Onkyo though - sound, ease of use and reliability all go before price, at least to a degree. With the aforementioned Synergy 2 lineup, what HK would you recommend? The 3550HD look sweet but may be a little out of my price range considering I can get the Onkyo 705/706 ($510), the 606 ($319), and the Yahama 863 ($577) or 663/665 ($320). What would be comparable in features? I'm thinking the 347 or the 354.

The 254 HK at $ 499 is right around the same price point. Even in that price range I would still choose the HK it is from far the most accurate in wattage, it would do as good if not better. It also the easiest to program.

Keep in mind that I'm planning to run everything with HDMI - so at least 3 in....I'd also like the flexibility to expand to 7.1. I can't quite remember the differences (if noticeable) between HDMI 1.1, 1.3, etc. Should that be a focal point of my research? What should?

With Blue ray 1.3 is a must.

With a standard dolby digital signal you will not hear a difference between 1.0, 1.2, and 1.3, but only the 1.3 can transmit the loseless signal ( HD DTS, true HD dolby digital) and yes it is clearly an improvement over the normal dolby digital signal.

P.S. I'm set on getting the F2s, C2, S2s, and Sub 12 for an awesome 5.1. I would just need two more S2s to extend that to a 7.1, correct? What kind of wattage am I looking for as I read on the Klipsch site that a receiver that has too low wattage can hurt the speakers! :)

HK once again is not issue concerning the wattage. Regarding the type of speakers needed for the back surround I have done a lot of experiment on that one.

Here is my take on it link

I own the Yamaha 663. It is a good AV and has pre amp outs if you decide down the road you want to add an amp. Even if you think you'll never add an amp I'd get one with pre amp outs just in case. If you never use them no big deal, but if you decide you want an amp there is not a good fix for the lack of pre amps other than buy a new receiver!

I'd get the 663 before I'd get the 665 from what I've read on the AVS 663 thread. Sounds like the 765 is actually the replacement for the 663. With the price you can buy the 663 for (and I'd bet it will get cheaper in the next month with the new stuff coming in soon, assuming you work at BB) I don't think you can beat it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=995796

I looked at the 863 but for the $400 more it would have cost me I didn't think it was worth it for one more HDMI input and average at best scaler. You can buy a HDMI switcher at monoprice.com for $20 or so and be set. You can get the 863 for $250 more and even then I don't think I'd do it.

As far as the other brands you mention I'd check out the owners threads on AVS for those models too to get an idea of the goods and bads of each receiver and make an informed choice.

• Moderators

I haven't thought about using an external amp but that's only because I have no idea what it truly is or does...so I'm doing a lot of reading on it. Regardless, I like flexibility and it sounds like having pre-outs makes my setup more flexible. Duly noted, thanks!

A receiver has a pre/pro (preamp and processor) and also a multichannel amplifier packaged into one box. It's a lot to ask a receiver to do all of that. They are capable of it, but it's quite a load, especially during intense scenes in a movie. An external amplifier takes the weight off the receiver so it can put all it's efforts into processing the sound. By adding an amp, the receiver runs cooler, and the amp will bring out more detail in the speakers, better bass (even at low volumes) and provide much headroom when you need it. My Yamaha receiver is 130 watts x 7 but it would benefit from having an external amp as well, even though it provides a TON of power to my RF-83 system.

By the way, I feel like a dork asking these questions which I'm sure many of you answer over and over again on sites like this. I really appreciate it, however, and, although I can't reciprocate in terms of A/V knowledge, I'll find a way somehow.

If we didn't enjoy helping each other, we wouldn't be here. One day, you will be the one helping others.

I think the F2's are one of Klipsch's best voiced speaker....not the best by any means, but easily the most bang for the buck. I think an F2 based surround system will bring you much enjoyment for years to come. I would especially recommend the Sub12 as it totally trounces the Sub10. I think going 5.1 makes sense too - especially if your budget can't handle go significantly higher.

In the HK line, either the 245 that was mentioned before or the 345 will make you very happy. I own a 235, which is a couple model years old, and it runs my Academys as a stereo pair just fine. I think the F2s are a bit more efficient than the Academys, so it should happily drive the Fs.

Regarding the voicing on the F2, my wife and I got to A/B the F2 and F3 tonight. We both preferred the sound of the F2 -- they sounded much more natural. The music on the F3 sounded like music being played through speakers, while the music on the F2 sounded like music. I wish I could describe it better than that, but I'm worse at analogies than . . . um . . .

That's what it came down to for me also. (F2 or F3) The only bennie I saw/heard in the 3's was a little bit more bass. Seeing as I have 2 subs, that wasn't a concern of mine. The F2's are IMHO, hands down the best bang for your buck out there. They sound absolutely awesome, and can take some serious punishment. I've had mine up to un listenable levels, and the sound was clear as day. Like Olorin said, the sound of the F2's sounds like music, as the F3's just sound like speakers with a tad more bass.

As far as wattage goes, it won't take much to drive the F2's. Like I said earlier, you don't need a set up like mine to push them at all................ I simply came across a GREAT deal on the Rotel amp, and I jumped all over it................ And like already suggested, definitely get the Sub 12!!!