RW-12d vs XW-500d

ezpc

Hello All.

I currently have a Klipsch RW-12d paired with Legend series KLF-20 fronts and KLF-C7 center channel. I am very pleased with the sound, however all the speakers mentioned have extremely large cabinets. For some time now, I have been wanting to replace my setup with new speakers with smaller cabinets but do not want to lose what I have with the Legends (twin 10" woofers in each floorstander and twin 8" woofers in the center channel speaker) and 12" sub. I am afraid that I will not be as happy with the resulting sound as I do like the amount of bass I get from them.

I have the chance to purchase a XW-500d and matching Icon speakers at a large discount and would like to know if I should make the move. The icon series floor speakers and center are very thin compared to the Legend series and the 10" sealed sub is significantly smaller. I heard them in a Magnolia test room but my theater room has very different accoustics.

All my speakers are being pushed by a Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH receiver and the room is a large 25' x 15' that is open to other rooms in some areas. No carpet, tile floor throughout.

For some time now, I have been wanting to replace my setup with new speakers with smaller cabinets but do not want to lose what I have with the Legends (twin 10" woofers in each floorstander and twin 8" woofers in the center channel speaker) and 12" sub. I am afraid that I will not be as happy with the resulting sound as I do like the amount of bass I get from them.

I'm afraid you're correct. With the exception of Reference and Palladium, all current Klipsch is a two-way design unlike your KLF's 3-way design. I'm not saying 2-way speakers are not as good as 3-way but if you're used to the sound of separate woofers, midrange and tweeter its possible you might not like 2-way designs.

"There's no replacement for displacement" is a term used in the auto engine world. In terms of useable, reliable power the bigger the better when it comes to engine displacement. The same holds true for speakers. You just can't scale down all the components of a speaker and expect to get the same sound.

There's a reason why the KLFs are called Legends you know... [:)]

Thanks for the reply. Do you think I would be happy with replacing the RW-12d sub with the XW-500d and keeping the Legend speakers? Will there be much difference between the subs?

I mostly listen to music with this system but also some TV/home theater. I would say a mix 80/20.

Can you tell me how the subs would be different? In what good or bad ways? Will I notice any difference in tone being its a sealed 10" vs. my 12" ported sub?

I have the chance to basically even swap the subs with no money out of pocket. Will this be a good move? I do like the sleek, smaller cabinet of the XW-500 but not at a big sound loss if there would be one.

The sealed box sub will have much less output than the 12" in a ported enclosure. It will be tighter sounding but will not keep up with your KLF-20's, Not by a long shot in your large room. Don't do it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input everybody. I decided to pick up the XW-500d anyhow so I can audition it in my home.
I can always sell it if I don't end up keeping it since I got it for a
great price. I will post back when I have a chance to compare the two, although it may not me anytime soon with my schedule :(

I think I'd stick with the RW-12d. If you're going to upgrade, you should get something that's in a whole different league.

I am not looking to upgrade as much as downsize. I know that there is no replacement for displacement but I always thought that there were some 10" subs out there that could keep close with 12s. I am hoping that this Icon sub is one of them.

• 3 months later...

for displacement" is a term used in the auto engine world. In terms of useable, reliable power the bigger the better when it comes to engine displacement. The same holds true for speakers. You just can't scale down all the components of a speaker and expect to get the same sound.

Pffff.... You just need some boost :)

• 9 months later...

It is still in the box if you can believe it. Been going through a tough financial time so it will likely never be heard. I have been thinking about putting it up for sale. Let me know if you are interested. I will make you a good deal on it. :)

Even with warranty not transfering to second owner that was a legit offer. That sub isn't that good and pretty much an entry level unit. Any sub they carry at BEST BUY is not above entry level in my book. That sub is worth $400 at best and only because it's brand new in the box. $350 plus shipping was a smokin deal for the guy who owns that thing. Lol! BEST BUY entry level subs[+o(]