external amp question

shortstack31489

• Moderators

jeepers, nice stack-o-gear but you're really cheating your sound field with that narrow speaker placement. Have you tried placing the towers about 1.5-2 feet wide of the screen?

I though the same thing but it looks like there are some cabinets very close in the first image. If you can move them out any, it would help, then toe (angle) the speakers towards your listening area slightly.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But, not many BD's are recorded in this sound mode yet anyway.

Every new release BD I have purchased has been in DTS HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD. The box can be misleading and only say PCM uncompressed.

The Denon new AVR's have the lower level versions made in China where as the upper levels are made in Japan and are worth the step up if you need it.

But I beleive for the entry level price of $500 bucks or less having the Audyssey DSP is a great bang for the buck but you get no preouts or phono input. The amplifiers in this unit will in no way compete with seperates if you need to go loud, but for the average HT this is a nice AVR. I would like to see the real output wattage ratings of the AVR789/1909 (which are identical units as far as the guts go).

Why don't you just get one of these Roku Netflix Players? They are only $100, plus it would save you from having to keep hassling around with the xbox 360. Just a suggestion.

I cancelled my Netflix subscription a while back because it seemed like I got to the point I was just putting crap in my queue just to get my moneys worth. I had the three at a time plan and it didn't take long that I'd seen everything I was going to want to see as far as new movies and didn't feel I was getting my moneys worth. Now I signed back up with just the one movie at a time deal to get new releases on Blu ray and to try the streaming out. My son at the moment favors the Xbox 360 over his Wii or PS2 so I can see that us sharing the 360 will be an issue if I really get into the streaming thing. So maybe down the road I'll get a Roku player but for now I'm in more of a testing to see if its worth it phase so the 360 makes use of something we already own.

On a side note a few months ago at most I talked myself into getting Blockbusters mediapoint box. Kind of the same thing as the Roku but its pay as you go. You have no monthly subscription, just pay $99 for the box and that comes with 25 movie downloads (new movies cost $3.99 so $3.99 x 25=$99.75) so the box is basicly free. I liked that idea better since it is half the price of Netflix since you have to pay at least $8.99 a month there plus pay $99 for the box but if you use it a lot then it would be cheaper. In light of the picture/sound quality I didn't think I'd use it as my sole source of movie watching but it would be nice for those nights you want a movie but don't want to go to the store. I used to download to my laptop and hook that to the TV but that can be a pain and I'm big on having a remote control and my Harmony will control the Blockbuster box

i am not positive about the amp yet cause i havent really watched a full movie yet but i watched about 20 mins and it was cool as can be.....the onkyo can get very hot and yes with the cooler it turns down the heat tremendously...it makes it seem very cool to the touch

Is the fan pretty quite?

same floor space just move things. Speaker, rack 1, rack 2, speaker- that will give you more spread

But with the TV on the higher rack it will no longer be centered with the center and left speaker still in the same position. So really you are just moving the right speaker out farther with no ability to toe in.

James

same floor space just move things. Speaker, rack 1, rack 2, speaker- that will give you more spread

But with the TV on the higher rack it will no longer be centered with the center and left speaker still in the same position. So really you are just moving the right speaker out farther with no ability to toe in.

James

oh, sorry, I thought screen was wall mounted.