New Cornwall Midrange Horns

greg928gts

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest David H

I built the template to guide along the wall where the crossover resides, then it lines up flush with the original horn cutout. The holding screws are in the same position as the horn mounting screws.

post-24405-13819456407166_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Man...this is gonna be one bada$$ Cornwall.

jc

These turned out very nice, I would have liked to have done a few more upgrades ie. Crites tweeter, woofer and a better crossover upgrade.

As it is I replace the oil filled caps with o/e Klipsch poly caps. The oil filled 4uf measured 4.5uf and 4.6uf the 2.0 measures ok at 1.95uf

BTW, these fit perfect and sound excellent,(Nice design work by JWCullison) I have been running these horns on my Cornscalas for a few days now.

Guest David H

Man you are crafty and fast. So they are XO'ed at 600hz? What network is in there now?

jc

Type B network crossed at 600Hz standard crossover. I offered to upgrade if for him, declined at this time.

Guest David H

killer

those are decorators, would have been nice to have done a total job on the cabinets but you did a great service in showing how to do the motor boards- great project mang!

Michael

Thanks Colter, I agree I would have like to do a complete restoration, but this guy keeps these in his garage to rock out.

Guest David H

Excellent project! - So how do they sound.

Overall the sound has improved signifigantly, however I cannot commemt 100% because the woofers are not original and the bass is a little muddy. I reccomended replacing them with original K-33 or Crites replacement. The midrange is excellent really fills the room.

I ran some tests on this horn vs the K-600, and both look good on a meter so I sat the horns side by side and used an A/B switch to switch them in and out. The results were obvious the new Fastrac Horn is far smoother, better detail, where the K600 does not offer the same clarity. I consider this to be a nice stepping stone for the Cornwall.

Guest David H

If the cloth can be pulled away, and wood slipped in between the cloth and the grill frame, could the grill frame be cut with a utility knife?

Greg, how about metal shears for cutting the grill backing, I will give this a shot tonite. The grill material is just 3/32 masonite.