PawnShopHumor

HornsRus

While visiting the local pawnshop I noticed a pair of 3.5s sitting next to some Polk speakers. This particular pair of Polk speaker had 4 midrange drivers, one tweeter and some kind of foam woofer. When I inquired about the price of the 3.5s the salesman responded by "Polk is better than Klipsch". Well I knew I had to put his opinion to the test...lol. We hooked one of each speaker to a Onkyo receiver which put out about 80 watts. He then loaded a George Strait CD into the disc changer and proceeded to turn up the volume. He reached about 11 O'clock and then the Polk speaker had a bout with flatulence...lol. As the Polk stuttered along the 3.5 sang right along with Ol George. Much to his embarrassment he then quietly turned down the volume without saying a word. Needless to say the store had the 3.5's way overpriced at $450 so I left only with a good laugh.

Hello HornsRus,

When I saw your post about about Klipsch and pawnshops I knew I had to add my part too. Smile.gif

I used to live in Orlando, Florida, and on Colonial road (Route 51 I think it was to anyone still in FL, or was it 50?) There were many pawn shops there, one of them, called Cash America frequently turned over various older speakers.

But, most of what they had wasn't in too good of shape, and always over priced, so I was never too interested. Kept coming back once in a while though, just to check, in case something sweet did pop up. Well, the last time I ever went in that place, it was the same old lot again, a pair of 10-15 yr. old ragged Cerwin Vegas with one blown tweeter for $400! Are they crazy? Similar bad deals abounded, but I kept looking around.

Then, in the very back, next to the back wall, I see a big pair of black speakers, couldn't tell what they were since they were sideways. Come up close, and see they're a pair of Cornwalls! I couldn't get the grills off as somebody savagely screwed them in! But I look on top, and the price tag says $230 for the PAIR! Wow, can this be, a deal in this pawn shop! A deal and a half!

So, I have them pull over an Onkyo reciver and a CD player to test them out. Playing Annie Lennox's album Medusa, everything works great. Sounded unlike anything I had heard before. I had been wanting to find a pair of old Klipschs for years, but didnt expect to ever find a set under 800 bucks. So, I bought 'em! They're the Cornwalls I have to this day, only they are in storage. Frown.gif I was in FL for college, and now I graduated and am back home, looking for a job. With just my bedroom, there's no way the CW's would fit, so they're in a nice DRY barn at the grandparents until I can afford to live on my own. Talk about timing.

Well I got to enjoy them for a few months, and I will soon I hope.

*Looking for jobs*

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Yamaha Turntable with Stanton EE Cartridge

This message has been edited by Cornwalled on 03-22-2002 at 02:09 AM

Rus,

"...and then the Polk speaker had a bout with flatulence..."

cwm27.gif

I know exactly what you mean,I tested these overhyped speakers too.This was Polk Audio's reference at the time,they also had a huge tower with 8 6.5" mid-bass and a 15" foam radiator.It sounded quite good when not driven hard,after it was BURP time.

Most dealers have a implanted idea Polk Audio sounds better.They like soft burping speakers with cheap foam radiators.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Remember to audition speakers with the appropriate gear. Auditioning many Klipsch with a 20 watt amp is suitable. Many other speakers out there are quite good but you would think they were garbage when using the same amplifier.

Don't mistake efficiency for quality of sound though it will likely have a direct correlation to dynamics.

Gear matching should not be taken for granted.

Peter Z.

Ear,

Were those Polk speakers you mentioned the SDA series.I had a pair for a bit (2 hours to be exact)They were the SRS-SDA2s- retailed for about $2000.00 a pair.I stupidly bought them thinking bigger is better and while they had excellent imaging (some type of cancelling cable ran between the speakers)they had NOTHING in the slam department.Returned them that day.

I wanted so bad to audition the JBL Ti-250s in the showroom but they were out of my reach,still a gorgous speaker.

Jeff

JCturboT,

Yes I think they were the PolkAudio SDA,I remember they were not deep at all and dominated any room with their size...not sound.

Funny PolkAudio was claiming true stereo sound,and now their so called true stereo is resting in peace. LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears