Anyone still using reel to reel?

Cornwalled

Hey Guys,

Back in 2000, I got an an Associates degree in Recording Arts from Full Sail Real World Education. As part of their studios, they made many reel to reel decks - both 2" 24 track, as well as 2 channel master units. I enjoyed working with them, calibrating, cleaning, etc. They certainly sounded great. As I recall, the 2 inchers were Studer (don't remember the model, but they were nice). The little guys were various brands- Tascam, etc. I don't remember if the 2 channel ones were 1/4" or 1/2". They might have had both.

Anyway, my question is this: Does anyone here use reel to reel in their home stereos? If so, where do you get your tapes from? I have been interested in getting a machine myself, but don't know where I would get tapes. I'm only really interested in tapes that already have music on them - mainly classical, jazz and blues. Or even the occasional big band record- Glenn Miller, Duke Ellington esp.

Which size format is most common for home use- 1/4"? Also, how about what IPS? Any machines that are a good deal on the used market right now? Another concern is upkeep on a discontinued format. My worry is if something goes (a motor, belt, heads, etc.) that I won't be able to find the parts or get it serviced. Is this a real problem? One thing I do have is the Interclean head cleaning kit which has the S-711 head cleaning fluid and the CS-1 swabs. I used to use it on my Nak before it quit. I have done alignments before, but that was almost 10 years ago, so I would need a refresher.

Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated, as I am definitely interested in adopting this charming format if you guys think it would be workable (and not too expensive).

Thanks!

Jon

Yes, Reel to Reel is alive and well at my house. I currently use and listen to Teac, Akai, Pioneer, Sony and Sansui tape machines. I have transferred many cd and Ipod recordings to tape and the sound reproduction is much enhanced and better. Long live the reel to reel.

Hello,

I forgot about this thread, it was quite a while ago that I posted in it. I have since picked up a Sony deck, as mentioned in my signature. I don't use it all that often, as I only have a few tapes for it, most of which are not that great quality. The only tape that really sounds good is a recording of Holst's Planets that I made myself from CD. All the rest are pretty degraded.

That's the real frustration I've been having with this format is it's age. There are some OLD tapes out there, and they're just so beat that they sound lousy. I have a few old RCA acetate ones that are just deplorable. The deck itself is fine, and capable of great reproduction, I just don't have anything worthwhile to play on it. I looked at several on ebay, but couldn't justify the really high prices for the good ones. I refuse to buy 3 3/4 IPS stuff because it sounds horrible, and the 7 1/2 stuff costs a fortune. Oh well, maybe when I get a real job.

Til then, records, cd's, and tapes will suffice. Actually, my Nak ZX-7 sounds better than the reel to reel because I have better quality material for it.

-Jon

I have to agree with BOXX, with my own experience with PRE-recorded tapes, they can really be GREAT! I have a bunch off of eBay that were NOT that expensive (around $12 ea.) that I have yet to play. Some of these have NEVER been played and are 7 1/2 IPS...

Just aquired a TEAC deck, a bit of a high end 2 channel unit that needs some TLC. The heads look fine, just have to fire it up and see if it works.

Good luck with your tape choices. Don't be too quick to pass up some good deals. Do the 'buy it now' only and see what comes up. Its ever changing.

........Gary