Vibration-Travel ... from Speakers ... on 2nd Floor of 2-Story Houses

I'll be getting a pair of Heresy III speakers, which will be used in an office (guy-term for bedroom) on the second floor. There is carpet on the floor of the office, but it's not a very thick carpet.

I'm wondering, if there will be much vibration from the H-3 speakers that could be heard ... or felt ... because they are in direct contact with the second-story floor of the house. Is it common to use speaker stands for floorstanding speakers located on the second-story of colonial houses ... and if so ... did the speaker stands make a difference?

From a previous message, a company selling widget stands was recommended by Islander. This company also sells speaker stands. They mention speaker stands that are filled with stands. Would these stands be a really good idea to prevent sound travel from second-story office to the room below the office?

Info here (courtesy of Islander): < http://www.skylanstands.com/racks.htm >

Anyone ever had issues ... with vibrations from speakers located on the second story of their house ... traveling through the rest of the house? If so, how did you resolve the issue?

A similar question: The H-3 speakers are designed to be floorstanding speakers. If I used speaker stands, would there be loss in sound quality, or do well- built speaker stands (i.e., sand-filled, etc.) compensate for speakers designed to be floorstanding?

I say get the speakers and see how they react in your house. I have H-1 and I don't have any problems, also Cornwalls, on the second floor. It can all depend on how loud you have it and the structure itself. You will be able to hear it on the first floor, that's for sure. I can turn the Cornwalls on and have the volume at half and hear it anywhere on the first floor.

James

If you had a sub I worry about it more or if you had bigger Heritage that had lower bass response. It will also depend on how loud you listen. The speaker stands are mostly for improved imaging and speaker placement. I would listen first and then decide what you need. The HIII's are awesome. Post some pics when you get them setup.

If it's a typical house, more sound will be transmitted through the air than through the floor, so unless your walls are thick and your door is totally weatherstripped/gasketted, other people in the house will hear your music anytime it's conversational level or louder. To reduce transmission of sound through the floor, you could set the speakers on some sort of very low support, maybe a 1" thick box with sand in it. You could also go with neoprene rubber pads. I'm suggesting very low supports because Heresies are floor-standing speakers and will have less bass if you move them far off the floor.

I have two subs in my bedroom system (you need two for the bedroom, since the mattress absorbs so much sound it becomes very obvious the bass is coming from the side of the room if you only have one sub) and one in the main living room system. All three are sitting on low tables or boxes, with 1" thick black closed-cell rubber pads (used in wrapping/insulating large industrial pipes) under the speakers.

Getting the subs off the floor gives a smoother bass response, plus all the bass sound is felt in the air, not sent through the floor to my neighbours downstairs. Even so, deep bass sounds in movies or music can make the room or the sofa feel like it's moving.

Try the speakers first, and see what you think. You may be concerned over something that may not turn out to be very important.

Anyone ever had issues ... with vibrations from speakers located on the second story of their house ... traveling through the rest of the house? If so, how did you resolve the issue?

Turned it down Wink

This coming from someone who cranks their Jubilees inside so they can hear it out side while mowing the yard :) That still cracks me up.