Looking to upgrade receivers can you guys guide me?

superedge88

I am looking to upgrade from my Denon 2308CI, I am looking for a receiver that has HDMI switching, I only need 3 HDMI inputs, has the audysey microphone set up, Has more power than the Denon 2308, and has preamp outputs so that I can always add more juice to the set up. I will be selling my Denon and hopefully get about 400-500 dollars for it. I would LOVE to not have to put much more money out of pocket for a kick butt receiver with the above qualifications, but I am open to any idea in the under $600 range.

I have become partial to Denon since it has been the first receiver I have bought that I actually set up a whole home theater with and have become used to. I was a little disapointed with the user interface and the horrible user manual. But now that I know how to work it I am very happy with it. The Denon AVR-989 / AVR2809CI has a little bit more power, and from what I understand it has preamp outputs as well. So I believe I would be upgrading with the possibility of using a seperate amplifier in the future. Any input on this receiver? http://www.dakmart.com/product_info.php?products_id=11043

• Moderators

If you are willing to venture away from Denon, the Yamaha RX-V1800 fits all of your requirements except for the "under $600" range (unless you are willing to buy used). Recently sold on Ebay for around $500.00. I have been more than pleased with the power, connectivity, HDMI Switching. Absolutely no complaints. Great unit.

I am a little confused about the power specifications for the Yamaha V1800, it shows in the online manual that it consumes 500 watts of power but can use up to a maxiumum of 1100 watts. Which number should I be looking at to GENERALLY estimate the units capability of producing power to the speakers so that I can better compare it to a Denon or Onkyo option.

• Moderators

To be honest, I wouldn't be as concerned with what any manufacturer states as far as wattage. There are people here in the forums driving Klipsch speakers with less than 10 watts. Crazy I know. Each manufacturer (Denon, Yamaha, Harman Kardon etc) rates their speakers differently and thus it can be misleading. This is why back in the day, I had a Punch 45 Rockford Fosgate amp pushing two 12" woofers and it was rated at 22.5 watts rms, 45 peak. It would absolutely crush the 1000 watt Boss amps both in power and in quality.

Reality is that in order to hear a 3dB increase in volume, you have to DOUBLE the power. So even if you had a 100 watt/ch receiver, to increase the volume another 3dB, you would need a 200 watt/ch amp or receiver.

With that said, I personally would look for a receiver that has at least 100 watts/ch. Usually, when you get into the 110 - 140 watt receivers, you are getting into the higher end of their line and those usually come with more features (such as pre-outs, extra HDMI outputs etc).

In my experience, Onkyo provides a great quality receiver and has a lot of bang for your buck if you are primarily using it for HT. To me, it lacks musically for 2ch listening. I had a Harman Kardon AVR55 (55 watts/ch) and ABSOLUTELY loved it for 2ch. Amazing quality and separation of instruments, but began clipping at high volumes for HT. The Yamaha that I currently have is a great compromise between the two. 2ch music sounds great (but not quite as good as the HK) and is phenomenal for HT (even better than the Onkyo that I had).

Hope this helps.

Think about a Onkyo sr806 in that price range. 130WPC and pre outs. I have been completely happy with mine. very very quite opperation.I got mine NEW from amazon for about 625 shipped. I wanted the nr906 with netwrok capabilites, but the extra price wasnt affordable at the time. Make sure you get the"S" version if you do opt for the onkyo

Technical Specifications

• Power Output: 130 W/Channel (8 ohms, 1 kHz)
  • THX Certified: THX Ultra2 Plus™
  • Amplifier Frequency Response: 5Hz-100kHz
  • S/N Ratio (LINE IN): 106dB
  • HDMI video up-conversion with DCDi Cinema technology
  • Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD decoding
  • DTS Decoder: DTS-HD Master Audio
  • Music Optimizer: Yes
  • Audyssey Dynamic EQ: Yes
  • Faroudja DCDi Edge™
  • 192K/24 Bit DACs: Yes
  • Multi-Band Speaker EQ: 5 Band
  • Audio I/O: 8/2
  • Digital Audio IN (OPT/COAX): 3/3
  • Composite I/O: 5/1
  • S-Video I/O: 5/1
  • Front-Panel Optical: Yes
  • Component Video / Bandwidth: 2/1/50MHz
  • HDMI V1.3a repeater:: 5in/1out, 1080p compatible
  • 480i to 480p Processing: DCDi Cinema
  • 1080i Upscaling: DCDi Cinema
  • 1080p Upscaling: DCDi Cinema
  • Powered Zone2: Yes
  • Zone 2 Line Out: Yes
  • iPod Ready: DS-A2x, DS-A2, DS-A1
  • Auto Speaker Calibration W/Mic: Audyssey Multi EQ

What Youth said.

Plus each brand is going to have a different sound. Like you mentioned that you are use to the Denon sound. If you do go with another brand it will not "sound" the same. That can be a major draw back for some people. That is why you see a lot of threads talking about with mates well with Klipsch.

James

Thank you SO much for the guidance guys! Now it is just a matter of figuring out if I want to sell my Denon 2308 or keep it and just save for the better receiver. Any other input is greatly appreciated! I am going to try to find a deal on a Denon AVR-3808, I can dream can't I?

• Moderators

Be sure to check your local Craigslist. I was fortunate and found my Yamaha RX-V1800 like new for $400. Lots of great deals out there. You just gotta be continually looking and have some cash put aside to be able to jump on those types of deals cause they won't last long. Good luck in your search!

• Moderators

Also be sure to check your "not so local" Craigslist.

I just got a brand new looking Yamaha RX-V1800 for $450 plus the cost of driving 320 miles.

Hehe. Yeah, Noah loves road trips to get his gear. Part of the fun is the process we go through to get our gear. Nice going Noah! I think the 1800 was worth the 320 mile hike.

Looking for a little guidance on this option. I am looking online and seeing some non working 3808 receivers for sale. If I can get one of these for around $200 do you think it would be possible to get one fixed for less than $400 which would make it a great deal? I just thought to ask, I have never had to get quotes on receiver fixes. I just thought I would ask in case this is an option that others have explored, I understand that the risk may be too large, and this may not be a very good idea.