Best way to repair holes in bookshelf speaker box?

jdoss999

I have just upgraded my HT fronts and surrounds from 4 Insignia ns-b2111 bookshelves (those are the ones everyone was buzzing about last year) to a pair of RF-25's and RS-42's.

My problem is that I had all four Insignias on stands and, due to their relativley large size, I used screws to attach them to the stands so they woudln't be knocked off by one of my crazy kiddos. I screwed them right through the bottom of the box. A stupid move but these were around $70 for all four when I got them so I wasn't risking much.

So now I have four speakers each with four holes in the bottom. What is the best way to fill the holes so they do not affect the sound? Can I simply use wood filler or is there something more appropriate? Sawdust and wood glue maybe?

I like the Insignias for what they are and I'm on the fence on wether to sell or keep them for some other use in the future but in either case I'd like them to sound as close to new as they can without a lot of investment in time or money.

I have googled the heck out of this subject and I haven't found any relevant info.

Don't put holes in your speaker in the first place.

They're ported bookshelf speakers!

I like the rubber feet idea. But if the holes are in the wrong place, you can buy felt stick on pads in all different sizes that may do a good job of covering the holes. I've even seen large square pads that can be cut to size.

Greg

wood filler would work fine,then lightly sand smooth. Or just put some wood glue in the holes. You don't need to suffer some great angst over it.

Exactly! Just use a good wood filler, as Marvel here suggested and be done with it. No need to turn this into some major project. If you need it to match the finish of the speaker, you probably could color over it with one of those furniture scuff mark repair pens, or simply find wood filler that will match the color of your speaker (heck, if the speaker is black - just color it with a black Sharpie, especially if these are on the bottom where nobody will likely see the repair job anyway).