Coytee

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

This is a different type still clumping but the canes get about 1 1/2" thick.

I put it in the back yard where the back driveway splits then makes a circle, you can you tell we don't drive back there much the grass wants to cover the rocks. It's a circle driveway going to where we plan on building another house, if i live long enough. [:|]

post-11804-13819465561824_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Here is some of the pots I keep cutting to try to get enough to do the other side of the property where the side road is.

We live on a corner, the circle driveway to the back of the property is on the side road, hard to explain.

post-11804-13819465567654_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Tired of looking at all that green, here is one of my favorite plant's, Red Japanese Maple " Crimson Queen " with an upright growing green Maple behind it.

I think that's enough pic's !

post-11804-13819465573394_thumb.jpg

You need to dig a division. Make sure you get a couple bamboos together with root system and it should be fine. One at a time is not as good. The more root system the better.

I never had much problem dividing it and it not living, I had some extra plants after planting my side property line so I cut up the roots and put them into 3 gallon pots. After about a year in the pots I removed them again and cut them up again and re potted them, this was done a few times and needs to be done again. I am trying to get enough to do another property line on the other side of the yard that runs along the side street that has a little more traffic.

I may have just been lucky when cutting them up, it's not like I was careful I used a machete .Surprise

My neighbor planted some also about a year before me, I will go take a pic of his and mine and post. Every one likes pics anyway . Big Smile

Just about any method of diging them up will work but the method I stated is how the Bamboo farms dig it up for resale. The more rhizome system and multiple plants per division the healthier they will be. I'm going to dig some this year. I'm take shovel, pick, axe, and chainsaw. There is a bamboo farm in Morrilton, AR with 75 varieties of Bamboo so no telling what I will come home with.

• Moderators

Your probably right the better the root the more stalks will grow in less time. Seti look up some prices on the computer before you go to that farm, some Bamboo is very expensive and none of it is cheap. There are some really nice looking bamboo, I have a few pots of some yellow with green stripes and i had some giant Bamboo a man let us dig a few pieces from his patch. It was about 8" thick and 75' tall, we cut it into 15' pieces to get it home to show Christy how tall it was , we planted it behind our property and I think it didn't make it after a very wet winter one year.

That clumping Bamboo in the pic we dug up from in town, it was on the side of a building, one big clump. We asked who owned it and if we could dig a few pieces from it, they said is there any way we could take it all ? We ended up using a tractor and a cable, we dug under one side as far as we could and was going to try to get the cable under it and try to pull it up. What ended up happening was the cable just cut through the dirt under the plant like a knife, we were left with a giant plant completely loose. We used the tractor to load it in a trailer and bring it home, we thought we had it made until we tried to cut it up, it took 2 days and kicked our butts.

Your probably right the better the root the more stalks will grow in less time. Seti look up some prices on the computer before you go to that farm, some Bamboo is very expensive and none of it is cheap. There are some really nice looking bamboo, I have a few pots of some yellow with green stripes and i had some giant Bamboo a man let us dig a few pieces from his patch. It was about 8" thick and 75' tall, we cut it into 15' pieces to get it home to show Christy how tall it was , we planted it behind our property and I think it didn't make it after a very wet winter one year.

I've been shopping them for a while. The prices are insane especially running bamboo which is what I like. The farm is cool because it is run by an elderly couple and they can no longer work the farm so they give huge discounts if you dig them up. Bamboo that would normally be 100-175 a division is $25-$35 each. It sounds like you had Moso Bamboo. The Moso does like a well drained soil. It should have been cold hardy enough but perhaps the cold wet ground was abit much. I would try to grow that one more time. People pay for the cane and for the live plants. I'd like to make a tiki bar out of moso. 8 inches in diameter!!!! Wow

That clumping Bamboo in the pic we dug up from in town, it was on the side of a building, one big clump. We asked who owned it and if we could dig a few pieces from it, they said is there any way we could take it all ? We ended up using a tractor and a cable, we dug under one side as far as we could and was going to try to get the cable under it and try to pull it up. What ended up happening was the cable just cut through the dirt under the plant like a knife, we were left with a giant plant completely loose. We used the tractor to load it in a trailer and bring it home, we thought we had it made until we tried to cut it up, it took 2 days and kicked our butts.

They usually pay to have it removed. Wowee. That is some seriously hard work!!!!!!!

• Moderators

They usually pay to have it removed. Wowee. That is some seriously hard work!!!!!!!

I see now why they pay, it was rough we did not know what we were getting into. But we did get about 75 3 gallon pots each out of it, which would have cost us more then we were willing to pay.

There is a local (30 minutes away) Bamboo club, I thought about joining but these guys are way to serious for me, it's crazier than the audio people. [:$]

I really like the running bamboo more than the clumping you just need to be sure you want it permanently where you plant it. I would love to plant some in the back yard and have it big enough to make a trail in and maby some benches like we had seen in North Carolina.

Sounds like a nice place your going to, I am always willing to do a little work to save money or to get more for the money I am spending. Have fun.

here is one of my favorite plant's, Red Japanese Maple " Crimson Queen "

It is also one of mine. I have a Crimson Queen and a Bloodgood.

Some pics of Crimson Queens from when I was in Japan. They really know how to do gardens!!

post-13699-13819465640364_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Very nice, I love Japanese gardens, we are going to redo our front garden, it's been years, and we are thinking about a Japanese garden even though we are taking out the Koi pond.

That's about the only country I would visit just for the trees and gardens, nothing else even comes close to a nice Japanese garden.