Have I been bitten again?

JSChapman

Why buy something that is already obsolete?

Well I wanted a receiver with pre-outs(mine doesn't have them) and I thought it would be a worthy upgrade with the THX certification and all. As far as HDMI goes, I really don't care for the switching. Most HDTV's have multiple HDMI inputs. I would hook any components with HDMI directly to the TV anyways.

Well, I guess you've thought it all out then. I mean, the price is right, I'm just saying I wouldn't buy it. There is a reason why it's so cheap-because it's obsolete. You might even be able to low-ball him on the price.

I know It's obsolete and I should be looking else where for a NEW receiver but, it is such a HUGE upgrade over what I currently have. I think I'm going for it. I'll sell my current receiver to off-set the cost.

• Moderators

I know It's obsolete and I should be looking else where for a NEW receiver but, it is such a HUGE upgrade over what I currently have.

And that's a great thing. Nothing wrong with that. If you are willing to NOT have the latest and greatest and look for quality, used equipment, it will save you TONS of money. Let the depreciation kick in and those that must have the latest and greatest will sell their gear quite cheap (to you). :) Good luck in whatever you decide.

You know that's exactly where I'm at. I want quality, reliability, power! I am second guessing myself though. What I really want is a straight answer from you guys here on the forums. Am I getting a pretty substantial upgrade from what I have know? If so I'll make my move.

• Moderators

Alright JC, here is my assessment.

Your current Receiver
Pioneer VSX-516-K
7.1 channels
100 watts x 7
Dolby Digital, DTS and Dolby PrologicII processing

Audiogon Receiver
Pioneer VSX-1014
7.1 channels
110 watts x 7
Dolby Digital, DTS,and THX EX

Maybe I'm missing something but I'm not seeing the "substantial upgrade". You will never hear 10 watts difference. THX certification doesn't necessarily mean the receiver is better. Now if your current receiver was an old Dolby Pro-logic receiver, this would be a HUGE upgrade indeed. What does the 1014 have that yours does not have? Am I missing something?

Currently you are not running Bluray so you do not need a receiver that has the new audio formats. One thing you might want to consider is looking for a receiver that has preouts. Since you want POWER, you will benefit far more from an external amp than you would by even going with a 140 watt/ch receiver.

I think the A/B test is what I really needed. Thank you for that. It doesn't look like I'm missing too much but

What does the 1014 have that yours does not have? Am I missing something?

Pre-outs. Mine doesn't have them. If I ever wanted to add an external amp I would have to buy a new receiver just to be able to utilize the amp.[:@] If I should wait, that would be okay if down the road there will be something better. I do appreciate you giving me a good insight on what I may or may not be missing.Thanks.

• Moderators

Pre-outs. Mine doesn't have them. If I ever wanted to add an external amp I would have to buy a new receiver just to be able to utilize the amp.

I didn't realize the 1014 had pre-outs. That's a definite plus. To be honest, I'm not sure how much sonic difference you would hear between the two. Others might be able to chime in more about that.

JC,

I think for the $150 that you should get it. You already like the Pioneer sound so nothing there is going to change plus the adding of the pre-outs. So in the future you can add that external amp for more power. Also if it fits your needs, connection wise it's a no-brainer. Plus aren't all current, even new model, electronics obsolete or else the electronics companies would be out of business since they are not working on any new formats.

James

Okay so here's the deal. I'm e-mailing back and forth with the seller and he/she said would be willing to split the shipping cost. It still sounds like a good deal. I've been reading a little more about the VSX-1014tx. So far I am still second guessing myself but, the MCACC is a really nice feature and the universal learning remote is an awesome bonus. I told the seller I'm pretty much sold on buying it but, I'm not locked in yet. I'm a little indecisive on this one. I don't know why.[*-)]

Man JC that just might be that gut check telling you to pass. It's a tough one, like always once you purchase something you find something else a little better for the same price. With these times I am sure you will find something if not closer to you so no shipping.

James

Man JC that just might be that gut check telling you to pass. It's a tough one, like always once you purchase something you find something else a little better for the same price. With these times I am sure you will find something if not closer to you so no shipping.

James

Stupid gut why does it hate me. LOL! On a serious note thought in the past my gut has said jump on it. Like the Cherry F2's and recently the Outlaw sub I just got. I just talked to one of my best friends and he is saying the same thing you guys are. He thinks I wont be able to touch anything like this for under $150 for some time. I'm gonna pop for it and hope it's worth my time and frustration. I do appreciate everyone in helping me out with this. Thanks! I'll be sure to keep you guys posted when it gets here.

Well this changes things completely. The seller said that shipping was going to cost $47. That puts it at 200 bucks! The seller won't flex on it either so, I guess the deal is off. All this trouble and when it came down to the end it didn't even workout. JamesV I guess you were right some deals are be just meant to be passed on. Deals come and go, right?