Enter the Thorens TD-165; impressions, thoughts & questions (now with pics)

Greetings fellow travelers,

There's so many items I want to pack into this post that I'm going to screw my usual narrative and boil this one down to bullet-points!

• On the sound advice of GaryMD, who believes that a budget Thorens table sounds better than the ubiqitous Technics 1200, I purchased a Thorens TD-165, previously owned by GaryMD, from ColonialHoo (Chuck).
  • Chuck was/is a pleasure to deal with and correspond with. He packaged the table with incredible care. He truly didn't want to sell this table long-distance and did an inspiring job of insuring that UPS didn't damage it on the way from Viriginia to Illinois.
  • The Thorens arrived safe and sound. Although I have discovered one issue I'm hoping someone can direct me on: Normally (9 out of every ten records or so) I am set at 33RPM. When I switch to 45RPM (from "off" of course, not directly from 33) I noticed about two seconds of a rumbling sound afterwhich the table quiets down again. Based on Chuck's advice, I took off the platter to watch what was happening, and the sound seems to come from the belt lifting into place (from lower for 33 to higher for 45) while struggling against the weight of the platter. Is this normal for this model Thorens? Should I be concerned in any way?
  • Now the sound. Not a perfectly fair comparison to the Technics, because I am currently using the Grado Green Chuck gave me, rather than the Grado Gold I'm used to using, and waiting to have returned to me from a friend. But that's probably not too big a difference. The main difference I hear is in the midrange to high frequencies. The Thorens seems to offer more detail than I was getting from the Technics, and for "wow factor" offers pretty impressive cymbal crashes that I don't think I was getting before. As an added bonus, the Thorens is fun to play! And good looking!
  • One of my favorite Audiophile gurus is Harry from Audio Dimensions in Royal Oak, MI. Harry said to me recently that audio components are like layers and layers of windows. Sometimes, you add a new, clearer window, and it reveals dirtier windows you hadn't noticed before, as well as the cleaner, clearer view you were seeking. On that note, I'm becoming much more aware now of the bass deficiencies of the La Scalas. I know this gets a lot of discussion around here from time to time. My short term plan (both budgetary and for my current listening room logistics) will be to look into a phono-pre with secondary outputs and a quick and tight sub.
  • Thanks for reading, thanks to ColonialHoo, GaryMD, everyone who jumped in on my earlier thread and once again to this great forum where I come for sound advice, honest and excellent trading and, you know, fun!
  • PS Chuck wanted me to mention how much I enjoy listening to vinyl records. The truth is, immensely. Even if vinyl production halted completely, and it may, someday, I would still be counted among those who enjoy the great wealth of music that is available on vinyl records, the beauty of the sound, the fun in dropping the needle and watching the records spin...it is the original vibrating music machine!

Best regards to all,

Seth

post-26714-1381946582414_thumb.jpg

I took off the platter to watch what was happening, and the sound seems to come from the belt lifting into place (from lower for 33 to higher for 45) while struggling against the weight of the platter

So does it not make the sound with the platter off? Is the belt new/newer?

Great write up on the Thorens 165...

Just in case you don't have this, The Analog Department, the site for Thorens information.

When I purchased my TD160 it had problems switching fro 33 to 45. I purchased a new belt and have been enjoying it ever since.

James

I also have to agree, with the help from Gary, also HarryO helped me out and even took time out to talk me thru things.

Hi James,

Nice to hear from you, thanks for your response. Also thanks for sharing the link. I do not have the noise/rumbling with the platter off. Not sure how old the belt is. It doesn't seem to be worn but I'm far from an expert.

It doesn't seem to be worn but I'm far from an expert.

I am not one either, that's for sure, but I am sure the experts should be along.... Hope it's nothing to complicated to fix. I am sure that you are enjoying it none the less...

When I replaced my belt I got it from LPGear, might be worth checking out.

James

My td-160 is also a little rough going from 33 to 45, and I too was told to get a new proper thorens belt...I have not got around to it yet but it seems to be the consensus for this issue.

I use an ortofon super OM-20 on mine and the sound is awesome.

Good luck with yours.

Seth -

Beautiful wrtie-up and some great pics. Thank you for the kind words. You were a pleasure to deal with.

It's really nice to see the Thorens up and spinning again. I'm glad it's bringing you some listening joy. I'm also happy to see a few folks chime in with recommendations for your speed switching dilemma. Sounds like it's not too unusual. Hopefully a new belt will fix the rumble if you're so inclined to replace it. I know the belt was original to me (I didn't replace it), but as I told you I never spun 45s, so this issue slipped under my radar.

I'm also very impressed with your McPhail grand. Looks very beautiful. Unfortunately, my only musical talent is listening.

Keep us posted on your progress, and I hope you continue to enjoy your vinyl.

Chuck

WOW! That table looks VERY familiar!!

I can't tell you how happy I am that someone actually agrees with my assessment!! I'm thrilled that table is still in action here on the forum. I bought it from a guy in Canada about 6 years ago and it just blew the doors off of my Technics SL1800. Since then, I haven't stopped talking about these bargain Thorens tables and how musical they sound compared to most any low-priced table, new or old.

I'm glad you are happy with the table and yes, Chuck is great guy. Have fun!!

Hi Chuck and Gary, thanks for chiming in again. Breaking news: I got lucky on craigslist yesterday and brought home a good-as-brand-new Velodyne VX-10 for under $100. My fiancee was looking very skeptically at me when I hauled it through the door but she felt better when I tucked it inobtrusively to the right of the right channel La Scala. The results/imrpovements are incredible. We were listening to dub reggae in the wee hours last night at volume levels that satisfied Tracy (she doesn't enjoy The Loud and Full as much as I do, oh well) and the low frequencies that are available now are SO satisfying. It's a whole new world. This was a big step for the sound at a very low price.

Sweet score, Seth.

Sounds like it is helping out with the bass punch you are looking for. And I'm glad to hear your fiancee is happy with it (after hearing it). As you prtobably know by now, WAF is very important.

Keep up the good work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • On the sound advice of GaryMD, who believes that a budget Thorens table sounds better than the ubiqitous Technics 1200, I purchased a Thorens TD-165, previously owned by GaryMD, from ColonialHoo (Chuck).

Gary isn't the only one. Those Technics 1200 need separate plenum and base to do any good. And then there's the weighted rumble specs on those direct drive turntables. Low frequency rumble is often as much as 20dB higher than a good belt drive. Maybe they're great for DJ's who need to start and stop records quickly. But as far as sound quality goes a good belt drive TT beats them hands down anytime.

I used to have a TD160 a long time ago. The arm looks kind of clunky but is actually very good and stable.

You'll have to spend a lot more money to get much improvement.

The platter is heavy and the motor is pretty small. Tough to go from stop to 45rpm for that little motor. I wouldn't worry about the little bit of rumble if it's only two seconds worth. Even my Linn LP12 will give a little grunt when starting which per the manual is normal.

I still have two TD160's and a TD 145. They are great bargains. Tough on foot fall skipping but if you've got a good solid foundation these tables are wonderful. I think the biggest difference between the 165 and 160 is the inner platter is composite vs aluminum. I think the aluminum inner platter is preferred among those that like to argue such things.