KG 4.2's

kgriz

I grew up listening to my dad's KG 4.2's which he still uses to this day and their quality of highs and bass is amazing. I am looking at buying 2 floor speakers and really would like a pair of 4.2's but am on a budget (250 dollars). I have a 5.1 yamaha amp with 105w x 5 channel RMS. I am looking the KG 4.2's or something with comparable bass and highs being able to go just as loud without distortion. What would you guys consider. I would also like, in the future, to add some rear speakers and/or a subwoofer to this setup.

Thanks,

Kevin

Quartets can be had for that price. Most of the higher number KG series (3, 4, 5) can usually be found around that price also and will give you the sound you're looking for. Craigslist and eBay are your friend. Look for a pair locally so you don't have to pay for shipping. Where are you located?

And welcome to the Klipsch forums!

Keep your eyes open on craigslist. I've seen kg5.5's go for $350 and a pair of smaller kg's go for $200? I recently bought a pair of Forte ii's for $250 (passives pushed in, veneer chipped, but they sound great with new domes/crossovers)

• 3 weeks later...

Craigslist. I picked up some truly mint fortes for 400. Some 9 out of 10 CF3s for 220. My brother got a pair of mint Chorus, some KG 2 and a receiver for 500. This week there are a pair of Chorus for 350/offer here. Take your time and you'll get some great speaks for minimal bucks. If appearance isn't too important to ya.....then you can steal a pair.

Well guys thanks for all of your help but i picked up some speakers in Kansas City the other day. I got two EPI M180 which have to 8 inch woofers and two inverted dome tweeters. They are now in excellent condition after I recovered the grills. I also got a pair of almost mint Infinity RSe speakers which have a 10 inch woofer and electrostatic tweeter. All four were recently rebuilt with oem materials and done by some guys who specialize in EPI and Infinity speakers, including new foam, cones, crossovers, capacitors for the EPI's, and dust covers. I picked this all up for 250 dollars which I think is a steal for all of them in almost new condition.

However, thanks for all of the help and even though I didn't get Klipsch I am still a diehard Klipsch fan. When I find a good set of Forte's, Cornwall's, or some other style for cheap I will jump at the chance to get them.

Craigslist. I picked up some truly mint fortes for 400. Some 9 out of 10 CF3s for 220. My brother got a pair of mint Chorus, some KG 2 and a receiver for 500. This week there are a pair of Chorus for 350/offer here. Take your time and you'll get some great speaks for minimal bucks. If appearance isn't too important to ya.....then you can steal a pair.

I hear ya, I picked up my Cornwall's for $700 and a 30 mile drive.

I just passed on some KG4s for 100 bucks. No pics, but they claimed that they were oiled walnut and excellent. They would have gone nicely with my walnut Fortes. I wanted them, but just was too lazy to run over right that minute.....I had too much going on. Oh well....next month.

• 2 months later...

Hi guys, Klipsch newbie here.

I picked up a set of KG 4.2's in black today as well as a 4.1 (?) center channel for a real cheap price. They black is probably the worst color I could have found for refinishing purposes but what the hell. So far they sound real sweet. I'm hoping to pick up a pair of lightly dinged Heresy's Thursday and can't wait for that! I have a bunch of different speakers but me thinks I need a larger amp. Aside from a 165wpc Outlaw amp for my HT set-up, the largest guys in my line up are an SX-1010 and and SX-3900. All the others are sub 100w. With the Klipsch efficiency I don't think any of them should be a problem.

Any recommendations for refinishing the black Klipsch or should I just oil them up and leave them be?

I'm stoked about getting into these horn style speakers! I heard a set of vinatge Altec Valencia 846b's recently and almost loaded them into my truck. Only reason was I forgot........I have a wife! Damn!

• 14 years later...
On 5/5/2009 at 2:47 PM, kgriz said:

I grew up listening to my dad's KG 4.2's which he still uses to this day and their quality of highs and bass is amazing. I am looking at buying 2 floor speakers and really would like a pair of 4.2's but am on a budget (250 dollars). I have a 5.1 yamaha amp with 105w x 5 channel RMS. I am looking the KG 4.2's or something with comparable bass and highs being able to go just as loud without distortion. What would you guys consider. I would also like, in the future, to add some rear speakers and/or a subwoofer to this setup.

Thanks,

Kevin