noob needs help

jess28

I recently upgraded my synergy f3 set up to the rf82 series im driving them with a onkyo 806 avr i'm currently running this predominantly for ht,but after hearing a dolby digital blu ray audio demo disc i'm planing on making music equally importantant. so im thinking about adding a power amp after doing some research i figured maybe a six channel amp bridged to do 3 channel l/c/r is this correct? Is a two channel amp good enough?I'm also on a slight budget so i was thinking of buying used are older amps out of the question?will using a amp affect dd true hd/dts mas hd for my movies? I know these are very noobish questions but im only a couple of weeks into this.Most of my time has been spent with t.v. which i can answer almost any question on just started with the audio aspect and boy what i,ve been missing all those wasted yrs listening to pitifull audio.Any opinions ona good amp to match set up will really help. thanks for your time jess

i figured maybe a six channel amp bridged to do 3 channel l/c/r is this correct?

Yes that is correct but some on here see no advantage of bridging the front speaker. Then some have see an improvement, so I guess the real answer is, you will have to decide for yourself if you hear a difference.

Is a two channel amp good enough?

I would think if you get an external amp you will want to power the front three speakers. So they will be better balanced then trying to up the center to match the fronts.

I'm also on a slight budget so i was thinking of buying used are older amps out of the question?

No, this is not out of the question. How much are you looking to spend on the amp?

James

• Moderators

I can't really help picking out an amp but I think your amp is 130 WPC if I read it right. That's not bad at all I would guess it should do fine for music also. A bigger amp would probably sound better but not required.

hoping to just spend a couple hundred, but im not sure i can get something thats better than what i already have for that much. If i have to i'll spend more i will. I would also like to upgrade to the rf 63 or 83 when i get a place with a basement so i kind of wanted to get a decent set up now so im ready for when i do upgrade .Right now the rf 82 is overkill for where i'm at,so i got time i guess just wanna get the from what i got .

• Moderators

If God had intended us to hear behind our head, he would have put an ear back there!

Russ I think my wife has an ear back there, she can hear me mumble something from 50' !

found yamaha p2350 2c175wpc 8ohm , adcom gfa555 200wpc x2,and the kenwood km-x1 6channel amp 100 wpc but not sure if it bridgeable?my dad has had a adcom for the last 20yrs as 2ch stereo still sound great. I know this is all subjective and alot comes down to opinion but does one of these seem to stand out better for my needs. Thanks ahead of time for any help you could give me

I have an Adcom GFA 555 and it is a fine amp. It has enough power to blow the cat around the front room! [;)]

If I were you, I would get a 2 channel amp and let the AVR take care of the center and the surrounds. By using an outboard amp for the mains, it will really lighten the load on the AVR and it will power the center and surrounds with power to spare. This is also the most budget friendly way to go.

By the way, Welcome! This is a great place to ask anything you need to ask.

Dennie

Hi jess28. You have a nice receiver there. It's one of the better mid range products on the market. But like most receivers, there's a lot of electronics packed into the box. The 806 can deliver some serious current (for a receiver) but only for very short periods of time so it couldn't really compete with a dedicated 2 channel amplifier when running just the main speakers during serious 2 channel listening sessions. In saying that, for more 'casual' listening sessions, you may not be able to tell much difference between the 806 and a dedicated 2 channel power amp driving just your main speakers. If you listen 'loud' to very dynamic movie and cd tracks, inserting a dedicated 2 channel power amp will reward you with more punch and dynamics, and probably less grain. Relieving the Onkyo from driving the main speakers will enable the receiver to deliver more continuous power and current capabilities for your centre and rear speakers. As you are aware, your receiver has 7.1 pre-outs and it should be easy to configure the receiver so you can use the dedicated 2 channel power amp rather than the internal receiver amplifiers.

Before you do that though, try the bi-amp configuration first. You might like it. Also, DO NOT use the 4 ohm setting. The sound from this setting is awful. I don't know whether your versions has this, but avoid this setting like the plague...

I did look into bi amping the speakers i talked to someone from onkyo he seemed rather confused which confused me even more, when bi amping i no longer can have a 7.1 set up correct ? Then he explained that it also no longer a 5.1 set up so what does that mean for dolby and dts surround i've heard you get quite alot more punch that way he was also explaining how i don't need another amp and could do just from the onkyo itself .The other reason i was looking for amp was to also free up some power for my other speakers like you said. I will definetly look into bi amping a little tomorrow.thank you guys very much i'm used to being alot more self sufficient and wasn't sure what to expect from the forum,but you guys have been really helpful have a good one