Computer Wallpaper

It's been three years since Doc helped me drag all those speakers out onto the driveway for the shot you see in my avatar today. I was just browsing through some old Klipsch photos and came across the original - April 23, 2006. A lot of speaker trading has gone on in that time, I got to work a stint for the company, build my shop, collect more stuff.

I remember when I first posted that shot that Trey told me a lot of guys at Klipsch were using it for computer background wallpaper. I think it's also been used a lot to illustrate 'See honey, I'm not as bad as THAT guy'. LOL I've been proud to be THAT guy for these past three years.

I'll have a new series of Klipsch Classic speakers in wallpaper form for y'all soon. These will come mainly from the Klipsch Museum in Hope where I visited last week. Here's a sample of what they might look like, closeups of grille cloth, speaker facades, and other details.

Does anybody have any advice for file sizes, etc. for doing a series like this? I'm starting with 1024x768 because that's what my screen is. If I use 72 dpi that's screen resolution, right? That makes the files just a few hundred K, which seems like what you'd want for a picture that loads up and resides in memory.

Michael

post-10755-13819474587278_thumb.jpg

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Moderators

Very cool, Michael!

As far as sizes, you'll probably want to make 4 versions for the most common screen sizes, which I believe are 1600x1200, 1024x768, 1280x1024 and 800x600, and yes, 72 dpi is fine.

Nice job! I'm looking forward to see your pics.

This one probably holds detail better as it was a larger cabinet and I could shoot a close-up of full frame grille just for this project. Look at it full screen and check the detail in the metallic threads. Again at 1600x1200.

post-10755-13819474594238_thumb.jpg

Michael,

The grill clothe is too busy for my tastes, but that's just me. My icons get lost in the weave...[*-)]

My monitor is set at 1280x1024. Having the image centered, so there is no stratching or shrinking, this one doesn't look sharp. Most images look really good here at home.

Bruce

EDIT: oops.. the first one you showed at 1600x1200... I'll try some others

Nice perspective!

The cream and gold grill clothe looks great as wallpaper.

it's all about perspective, my stereoscopic friend! [H]

checking out your stereo slides on that 3d viewer system was amazing, I'd never seen anything like that before!

Nice perspective!

The cream and gold grill clothe looks great as wallpaper.

it's all about perspective, my stereoscopic friend! Cool

checking out your stereo slides on that 3d viewer system was amazing, I'd never seen anything like that before!

Stereo 3d photos are what got me back into photography. I like the manual process. It makes you think things through abit more.

That corner shot is excellent. With the out of focus depth of field on the left side, it is easy to see your icons.

Nice colors too.

Ian - the photography instructor at or school handed out shets of foam core and directions for building pinhole cameras. The students had to figure out hole sizes, blah, blah. They made some amazing pictures.

Then they mixed up their own chemicals to do their other prints. They are awesome. The instructor says, correctly, that they will all be better photographers by learning traditional methods first, before they start to use digital cameras.

Bruce

That corner shot is excellent. With the out of focus depth of field on the left side, it is easy to see your icons.

Nice colors too.

Ian - the photography instructor at or school handed out shets of foam core and directions for building pinhole cameras. The students had to figure out hole sizes, blah, blah. They made some amazing pictures.

Then they mixed up their own chemicals to do their other prints. They are awesome. The instructor says, correctly, that they will all be better photographers by learning traditional methods first, before they start to use digital cameras.

Bruce

Sometimes the best pictures are made by mistakes in the process somewhere between camera and paper. I like these little mistakes or pushing certain parts of the process to the limits or just accidents or artifacts of the technology. Sometimes I like taking even digital technology to the tipping point of failure. It is fun.

Here is a pic of an artist friend. Just taken with my iphone but spining the device.

IMG_0485.JPG

He Colter more pics :) The pie slice above is tooo cool.

I'm keeping them pretty sedate for now, no artsy stuff other than a few touchups of the speakers (and the wear on that pie slice logo- whew).

Here's a special cutaway Khorn that's different from the square cuts we normally see. I love the curvy lines in contrast to all the hard angles of the cabinet construction.

post-10755-13819474616892_thumb.jpg

How about this little favorite cabinet? I found out from Hunter's notes that this particular Little B@stard (it's actual name), was sent to Calliope Sound in Indianapolis, where we used it for side fill monitor. It's height is just perfect for your cigarettes, glass guitar slide, and drinks. Now here I am some 30 years later photographing the same cabinet in the Klispch museum. The stuff of Legends, my friends.

post-10755-1381947462047_thumb.jpg