Hey Mobile...look what I found...

maxg

Any good?

Pre-amp

I have written to them to see if they can provide it pre-built and ask how much that would cost. All thumbs when it comes to assembly and as likely to solber the buttons on my shirt to the circuit board.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (solid state).

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

I would hold off on this one. See what they say but as of now, it doesnt get me going. The 6922 is ok. You surely dont see the transformer coupling very often. Personally, there are so many other options, I am not sure this is the one I would land on. See what they say, however. IT doesnt really float my boat this morn, but then again, I didnt get much sleep last night either...

PRE II Pre-amplifier Module Kit...the name is not exactly inspiring. They should have gone for "MOTHRA PRE-EMPT STRIKE II"

kh

I am going to be having a few preamp come my way that are very good deals. One will be in a kit form that you might be able to convince your amp builder cohort to throw together as it looks VERY simple. According to Kevin Haskins, he REALLY likes the sound of this circuit. I'll see for myself in a few weeks. I will post it in a new message as YOU LOONS in the Midwest area will be able to hear it for yourself as well!

IF not that pre, there are others I will look into as well. I assume you dont want to buy used, correct?

kh

Buying used is not a problem. Buying from the US might be. I can only get things into Greece without having to pay tax's if they are marked less than $20!!

Works for SACD's - but a pre-amp moight be a bit of a push - maybe in kit form though.

As always - thanks.

I am running out of ways to say thanks to you - could we take it as red from now on.

BTW - any recommended reading? If I were to learn some of this stuff I wouldnt have to drive you nuts with all these questions all the time.

maxg,

I have two items for sale that could be of interest to you:

1) My version of Doc Bottlehead's "Foreplay" preamp with constant current source upgrade, Sowter 230V transformer with electrostatic screen, Hovland caps and Noble potentiometers and

2) A DECWARE ZTPRE with beefed-up 500VA power supply, DACT stepped potentiometers and VTV silver output capacitors.

You can have a first look at those by visiting www.bottlehead.com and www.decware.com

Aristidis

www.aca.gr/pop_coumpas.htm

This message has been edited by arco on 02-27-2002 at 03:51 AM

Think I will have to arrange a quick test of these if possible. Mobile - any thoughts or preferences.

Should be interesting if we can arrange and obviously I will report back here on what we find.

BTW - Arco's system looks seriously WOW. Maybe I can get a demo on that one....

I have heard from Kevin Haskins that the fully loaded BASIE preamp outperforms his modified, tweaked out Foreplay. Yet, I am not the best to ask at the moment since the swine unit lies some 500 miles away. Then again, ARCO's Foreplay has some extra goodies as well. The Basie includes tube rectification and a choke input with quality iron. It also has Zer0 Negative feedback. Still, you could always sell that Foreplay if you wanted to opt for something else.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-27-2002 at 04:15 PM

Well Mobile - I understood almost nothing of your last post but I am sure it is all great info.

Hopefully Arco and I will get together this weekend with both of his tube pre's so we can compare them not only against each other but against the SS amp that came with the units.

This will also give me a chance to get an expert opinion on my current sound. Maybe Arco will post something of what he hears we'll see.

Right now I woud say it is even money that either of the pre's will prove better to my ears than the current unit. Well, maybe slightly better than even - but this dang thing just sounds so good to me right now I am totally out of my depth for judgement purposes.

Well I'm also looking to score a very good guality Preamp too, and I'm not opposed to buying a quality used one. So mibile I'll be awaiting your review of BASIE preamp. I would like to know what others think of the Cary SLP-74P, which I believe does not have tube rectification and the Cary SLP-90, think this unit has seperate PS. Found very little info on either model via web searches.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 02-28-2002 at 11:55 AM

I would pass on the Cary SLP-74 unit unless cheap. It is ok but the circuit and tubes are not my favorite. The SLP-70 is actually a better design as it is based on the 6SL7 and 6SN7 with 12AX7 for the phono. IT is found with external power supply as well.

As for the SLP-90, this is an ok piece and very nice to look at. It DOES have tube rectification which is a plus but needs to be upgraded to the 12AU7. The 98 is when they reverted back to the 6SN7 which I happen to prefer.

preamps.jpg

That being said, the Basie does NOT use the 6SN7 either, but is a really nice circuit with a choke supply and tube rectification. I will be listening to it soon and reply here.

Jazman currently has the Cary SLP-90 right now. It came at a good deal so I told him to go for it. I dont think he would have too much trouble selling due to the amazing looks either (of course, the gold is a bit much...but does look good in person depending on application - it is point to point wired and uses quality parts - ask Jazman about hum / sound).

I'll keep my eyes out for something...a few others looking as well.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 02-28-2002 at 01:30 PM

I was reading a thread (somewhere?) that Haskins wasn't too certain about carrying the Opera Audio stuff

because it such a deal that the profit margin would be pretty much nil.

Or he might try it for awhile, or something.

Still, the Brian Cherry route is a good buy.

$906 for the Ella with ALL upgrades(KT-100's) with the shipping price sans Power Cord.

Then get a cord from Kevin.

A few hundred more bucks, and the Basie could be used to push the Ella minus it's volume pot.

I could keep it under $1500 or will try to.

You and your damn eye candy pics Homeless, gets me all pipe dreamin'.

THANX!

The amps will be a better deal through Kevin as he will get them bone stock and offer better parts upgrades from this end. He will be carrying the Ella, Basie, and Billie by end of month. He is redoing the instructions for building with new pics of each step with additions for his part selections. He will also cary the TJ line of tubes as well but no NOS.

I just need to hear this stuff to get a real comparison as I have grown weary of people telling me what this stuff sounds like only to have it at home and find, as usual, that system, experience, and situation can really play upon perception (me included, of course).

kh

kh

While I was looking for a preamp to "service" my Moondogs I bought a Cary SLP-74.

I got it from a local DJ on some esoteric radio show who used it for the phono only. I found it sounded

"dark" compared to the DJH version of the AES AE-3 Superpreamp when using it for FM or CD sources, it just didn't sound as open and clear as the AE-3 does. I probably should have kept it a bit longer to give the phono section a trial but I didn't have a TT at that time so I ended up selling it quickly.

------------------

This message has been edited by edster00 on 02-28-2002 at 06:54 PM

mobile, Thanks for those comments. I plan to be patient and get a really worth while unit the first time out. That BASIE is cosmetically pleasing to the eye, but delivering the goods is what really counts. BTW - you must have a spreadsheet to keep up with which members are looking for what!

Edster00, Thanks to you also for the comments on your experiences with the SLP-74 and DJH version of the AES AE-3 Super Preamp. Don't recall seeing any of the DJH version preanps for sale used.

The Midwest Audiofest in Lima next month may be a worthwhile event to attend, would give me a chance to not only hear, but feely-touchy as too.

ThanksWes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

The Cary SLP90L has worked out fine for me. The L model does not have a phono section but does have an outboard power supply, has the factory oil cap upgrade and recent factory service. I'm using Mullard NOS in all sockets, EZ81/6CA4s and 12AU7s. No hum problems. One day I will pull it off line and just use my phono preamp to test if audio color is added by the Cary.

One of the reasons I decided to purchase this unit is the large supply of NOS tubes to stock this preamp that I have become familiar with as a result of the Eico HF81 I purchased and use.

Klipsch out

jazman,

Thanks for input on your SLP-90. Its a very classy looking unit. I have given some thought to line vs. phono stage. My preference is for phono stage included. However, Im flexible and would not pass on a great buy for an excellent line stage.

I have noticed that an Audible Illusions Modulus 3A w/phone has been receiving very good reviews. Especially those models that have the John Curl phono board installed. Aesthetically, its not very pleasing to me with its rack mount look. It is certainly receiving good user and press reviews. Will shoot you an email after the weekend.

Wes

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>