Anyone ever use a car amp to power a subwoofer?

Klipsch-daddy

Has anyone ever converted a ac(amp) to dc power? I have a monster Rockford 250.2 amp that would be more than enought to power almost any sub. Can it be done?

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Kenwood KSV64 Bipolar Speakers

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 585 5 Disc Yamaha

Harman Kardon TC-1000

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

You will need a beefy power supply,at least 20AMPS or more at 12V.If it can give 14V then you get more output per amp.

Yes I used car power amps with crossovers in two of my home made subs.I used a 100W(into 4 Ohms)and a 250W amp,the external power supply was quite big,I used a 30AMP jobber.

Worked great

I would seek a 30AMP at 12V unit,if it can output 14V the better.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 02-22-2002 at 11:29 PM

It can be done, but the price for a large enough power supply could be worse than a prision shower gang rape.

You could buy a cheap car, park it outside your listening room, run wires from the alternator to the amp in your house and be set. All you would need to do is go outside and start the car when you wanted bass. You would have to dump gas in the car every week or so to ensure continuous power supply capabilities.

The best solution is what aab3rd said. Shell out $150 (this includes shipping, tax) and buy the Parts Express amp. Like I have said before, my dual 15" JBL Pro sub gets a real workout with the $150 sub amp. Also, it is just messy and a pain to have the power supply AND the car amp. I saw it has a 30 amp fuse, so you'll need the $140 amp, so get the partsexpress amp.

I bet you could find someone locally or on eBay that could buy the amp from you, and you would almost have enough cash from the sale to buy the Parts Express amp.

Kenratboy,

"It can be done, but the price for a large enough power supply could be worse than a prision shower gang rape."

LOL

Good one,well the 30AMP PSU price is not that bad.Just around $150.And then again $150 plus car amp are a bit of a waste.

Just do as I did and get a Carver TFM-75 power amp,two times 1000W RMS full bandwith into 4 Ohms!And its a DUAL MONO so you can drive two subs and get a true 2KW if you nneed(who will?).You can get them cheap sometimes.

I will use this beast on the SVS SS I plan to buy.Should shake the foundation

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I still think selling the car amp would be the best, but for the same price as the power supply, you could get the Parts Express amp. I think the Rockford is so expensive because they need to make it so small and efficent. The Parts Express amp is built big, with no huge concern for size or the fact it can feed off of 15A @ 120 volts. Also, the controls on the Parts Express amp are nice.

Buy a $150 subwoofer for your car and use the amp in there, ALSO get the sub amp online and get both!