KG5.5's w/ Bob's Crossovers, and Ti tweeter mods (Success!)

I bought my pair of KG5.5 speakers new. They have been relegated to HT for most of their life, but always suspected they could be "more" than they were as stock. After years of playing with my other system(s) for 2 channel, finally settled down long enough to give these guys some of the spotlight.

Read a lot of posts and asked a few questions, but read that the titanium diaphragms were a major change for these speakers. I bought a pair from Bob Crites and then started researching Crossover material yet again. This time I decided to just let Bob build a pair for me. What did it do for the sonics?

WOW! Night and Day is understatement.

The Crossovers alone were drastic, but I really wasn't prepared for the tweeter mods. I still have the Klipsch "flavor", but the sound coming from this pair of speakers doesn't sound anywhere near the old pair that I was so used to! Unbelievable. The reviews and modders were right, this was improvement by many times over and worth every single penny. With the Titanium diaphragms the tweeters are reaching into ribbon type performance. Not only is it better by 200% for detail, the highs are just "smooth" now. Gone is the harshness I had before. I'm sure that the burned in crossovers went a long, long way to help in that department as well. Neither of the changes turned out to be subtle by a long shot. My Wife was speechless when I turned on the music after she watched me change out the Tweeter internals (which is super easy by the way).

If you have KG5.5's (or other in series), give this economical mod set a shot. I wasn't about to sell these speakers, but they really earn keep now. Now I'm kicking myself for not having done this years sooner. It was worth the wait and I find myself in front of these speakers again daily now. Bob is first class to deal with. I'm really glad that I was fortunate to have crossed paths, talked over ideas, and done business with him. He really knows his stuff ! The good guys like Bob are few and far between.

If you are on the fence, just get busy. Life is too short to wait around, and too short to listen when it could be this much greater everytime the disk spins! No way I could go back to stock now.

Andrew

• Like 1

I second your findings. I guess I didn't notice quite as much of a difference with the crossover network as I did with the titanium diaphragms. There was definitely a difference with the crossovers, but the titanium diaphragms brought the speakers up to a new level.

My Wife was speechless ...

I guess that was worth it all by itself.

Just kidding really. When my older son had given me a pair of HIIs, we switched out the JBL 4311s. The wifey liked them a lot, even though the JBLS weren't slouches.

Bruce

Well chacodude I guess you are going to get me off my duff and get me moving. I have been living with a pair of KG5.5s bought new as my two channel speakers since the early 90's. I have enjoyed the sound of these speakers over the years and they will continue to be my main upstairs speakers. They are now driven by a pair of MK IIIs from Kevin at Dynakit and provide me much joy. I have been considering these upgrades for some time, but this summer I'm going to pull the trigger on Ti diaphrams and crossovers.

I have built several cross overs and would like to do the cross overs myself. I would consider two ways to address the cross overs: buy a rebuild kit and replace the components on the existing cross over, or buy the components and make new cross overs. Which would you suggest? Bob C any suggestions? Only problem is I just started on a Cornscala project for the basement system yesterday, made the template for the DIY wood horn I will be building. The Cornscala's still need Crites woofers (cast), and cross overs. The plan is to do the wood horns this summer, then complete the cabinets this fall. So I guess the diaphrams and cross overs can be a mid summer project.

I'm envious of a spouse that appreciates HF audio, my wife does not understand my passion.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the comments! Definitely overachieved in the Wife Dept. here. She puts up with most all of my non-sense and all I can attribute it to is one of the universe mysteries! Funny, she says she can't hear the difference like I can but she's always the first to point out noticing something. I'm not about to ruin it for her. Just glad she likes music let alone the gear changes.

Yes, Mike...you are on the right path. I've loved my KG 5.5's and never ever thought about ridding myself of them. Sure there are better speakers, but the bang for the buck on these (even bought new) was just phenomenal IMHO. If you want to build your own crossover, there isn't much to it. The schematic is available readily too. Would reccomend using your own board and mounting in the floor like Bob's do. The original board is rinky-dink. I was pretty unimpressed. For what it was it's amazing it sounded that good! The upgrades are definitely a big improvement even before burn-in. Add the Ti tweeters and you'll be wondering whose speakers are in your house.

Thinking the Cornscala will be my next project. Not as replacement for the KG's but for 2-channel audio only. My KG's are hooked up to the HT setup in 2 channel. It's a crime to leave the KG5.5's stock knowing what I know now! The Cornscalas do beckon...strongly! I'll be really interested in hearing your progress on the project.Have fun!

Andrew

• 6 years later...

Fast forward to late 2015: 

STILL enjoying this pair of speakers. They started out as a decent speaker but upgraded to better than RF7. And still eye-balling Cornscala ideas...but haven't jumped that shark just yet.