Cornwall Value

Cornwalled

Hello,

I originally made this post in Odds and Mods but I realized it would be more appropriate here.

I have a set of 1981 Cornwall I's, with some minor scrapes and scratches, really the usual for speakers this age. Everything works great though, no problems. I have both grilles, one was just taken off for the photo.

I'm curious as to what they would be worth. If anyone knows, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

Yamaha DSP-A1000 integrated amp

Acoustic Research AR3A's for Pro-Logic rears

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Yamaha Turntable with Stanton EE Cartridge

Jeff, PA is a light market, i.e., not too many pairs of Cornwalls come up for sale. I think if they're pretty clean you should get $850, and if you really clean them up ($25 worth of oil/stain and some rubbing) you could get $1000. I've bought two pairs and sold one in this northeast market and it's been $1000 every time for clean pairs.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Chris,

While I agree that the Northeast is a tough market for Cornwalls (heck,I had to drive to PA to get mine!)even with some work $1000.00 for that particular pair seems a little steep.It appears that they don't have the risers,the veneer is chipped, and it looks like one of the grills it held on with sheet metal screw.

The prices on e-bay have also seemed to level off as of late (recession maybe) but I could be wrong-put them on e-bay or audiogon and see what you'll get for offers.

Jeff

Just to answer some questions, these ones do have the risers, they're just not shown very well in the pics. It's not a tall riser, just a few inches, but it's there. And as for the screws in the grilles, I guess the previous owner thought the velcro didn't hold them on well enough. However, when you take the screws out, you can't notice the holes. Some new velcro and it would be good again.

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Yamaha Turntable with Stanton EE Cartridge

Jeff, you're right ... but what I meant to imply was that for a very clean pair (e.g., nice Cornwall II's (older version) or a nice pair of Cornwall I's with upgraded networks (like B-series)) you could get $1000.

That's about what I paid for my CW II's and sold my CW I's for.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

• 1 month later...

Mine have the B series crossovers as well as the Alnico midrange driver. Is this what came stock on 1981 Cornwalls?

Jon

------------------

markvi82@hotmail.com

1981 Cornwall I's

(Music only setup)

Marantz CD Player

Pioneer turntable with Audio Technica cartridge

Yes. Unless something else was put in there. I don't mean to be flippant, ^(, but there were so many versions of the CW, it wouldn't surprise me to find anything in there. FWIW, my two pairs have the B crossovers and square magnets on both the tweeters and the woofers, round on the squawkers.

Trey Cannon (of Klisch Customer Support) has promised to make available Klipsch records on the Cornwalls. Tell him how nice that would be!

fini

This message has been edited by fini on 04-05-2002 at 09:21 AM