Denon vs Yamaha

dearlv

ok this will open a nice big can of worms. what are your experiences comparing the quality of Yamaha vs Denon? I know there is other stuff like Onkyo, H/K, Outlaw, but who has had experience comparing Denon to Yamaha with Klipsch speakers? Denon seems more on the cutting edge for video concerns- component video switching, DPLII, etc; while Yamaha is big on musicality and DSP modes for music and theater. I am especially interested in some of the higher end models like Yamaha RX-V1 (RX-Z1 coming soon), RX-V3200 and Denon AVR4802 and 5800 (5803 coming soon)...

Thanks for opinions based on some experience.

See what you just did? Worms started to infest my two Denon recievers,now you are in for some payback.

Wink.gif

Well you answered your question a bit I guess.The Yamaha recievers surpass Denon on music and have some good DSP sourround modes as the Denon DSP modes plain suck(I only use 5CH stereo).

If you listen alot to music I would bet my money on Yamaha,if its movies mostly both are great but the big 5800 gets my vote over the larger Yamaha I've tried.

I tried the DSP-A1,2095,3000 all three tested for about a week,they were "broken in"at the store.

I liked the DSP-A1 alot,great built,best faceplate design and a solid tank feel.In the end I decided on the Denon 5800,the best all around HT reciever IMHO.

I am sure HornEd will tell you how great his Yamaha is,and it is a great reciever too.

I did not buy the Yamaha because the amps are not as heavy duty as on the 5800.The 5800 can drive speakers like Dynaudio Contour (4 Ohms)with no touble all day long and at very high volumes.I would almost say the 5800 can drive an all Thiel speaker set,anyone who knows Thiel will tell you they are not the best speakers for recievers!

Features are quite similar on both Denon and Yamaha,give some extra points to Yamaha fot great DSP sourround modes you can listen to and not take a sledge and smash the reciever.

I did listen with my Dynaudio Contours to these recievers,as I did not have the R series yet.The Dynaudios will reveal quality amps much better then the R series Klipsch.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 02-24-2002 at 11:58 AM

Beauty is in the"ear"of the beholdercwm35.gif

The only way to find out is to listen in your home with your speakers.Sometimes very hard to do.I don't care for DSP usage on any source,but that's me.One might spend too much time trying the different DSP modes than enjoying the movie or music.

I like the sound I get from Denon both musicaly and HT,but can't tell you what you would like.

A can of worms,ya,but ya gotta do what ya gotta do

cwm12.gif

You be the judge,if one was truly better than the other,there would only be one because..........

My experiance with Yamaha was in 1990 with KG-3s and a 2 channel reiever,RX-530 I think.That combo sounded very good to me.I have had B&K w/Chorus and now Denon 3801+POA-2800 amps+Klipschorns w/ALK networks.

Around here you have to buy it to try it and on the return you have to upgrade.At least that has been my experiance and I've never had enough green to do much of that.

Seems to be more of us that have Denon that respond than Yamaha owners.Maybe they are spending more time enjoying than typing cwm1.gif

This message has been edited by Steve P on 02-24-2002 at 02:32 PM

I have my 3801 matched with SF1, SC1 , SS1 and a KSW12.

One thing I like with this setup and is when I listen live DVD's or CD's. The U2 Rattle & Hum dvd is just so good. The Eurythmics live CD is also a wonderful experience. I also have some good DTS cd's that sound interesting.

I don't use any DSP other than the 5/7 stereo channel. It is hard to go back to two channels when listening any music. The other DSP's annoy me.

Luke.