Dont know what to do....need advice.

nixonrsx

Ok, so here is my situation. I have some RF-7's, an RC-7, and some RB-61's. I dont have the intentions of going 7.1 for a long time, if ever. Right now I have a PS3, HD cable box and my receiver is a 6-7 yr old Yamaha HTR-5760. I just dont think I'm getting the "balls" I and looking for from my receiver, although it is holding its own. I know the RF7's drop down to the high 2ohm range when pushed, but is that true when my receiver is set to "small" crossed at either 60 or 80hz? Having said that, what would you recommend for me, I listen to this system for about 90% HT and 10% music....I have a whole other room for 2-channel music. Would you recommend a receiver or should I just get an Emotiva XPA-5 and run that off my Yamaha.....If you would suggest a receiver, it would have to be one with some balls, I was thinking the Marantz 8001. I wanna stay away from something that runs really hot, as my Yamaha never even gets warm. Well, hopefully I can figure something out. Thanks for everything guys.

I don't see a sub listed. Do you have one? That will certainly give you the "balls" you seek. If you have a good sub and feel you are still lacking, then yes, I would add an amp to my receiver. I added a Parasound 5125 to my HK receiver, and have not felt the need to upgrade further.

Yes, I have two 12" subs. But I will be upgrading to an ED A3-300 sooner or later, bass isint the problem....By "balls" I mean kick, and punch and overall dynamics, and more volume, sorry for the confusion. If I were to just get an amp, would my Yamaha do ok as a pre-amp?

• Moderators

I'm thinking amp as well. My yamaha pounds the crap out of my RF-83's. I was hitting 112dB a few days ago and it was clean, tight and loud. Would I still like to get an Emotiva XPA-3, yep. [:D] 200 watts/ch to my front three, let the yammie handle rear duty.

• Moderators

or will those 200w be to much for my surround RB-61's?

I don't think so. Remember, you can always turn down the gain on the receiver for the rears. Audessey will do that for you. If the extra $200 isn't a problem, I would get the XPA-5 over the XPA-3.

Do you think that is $700 better than an brand new Emotiva XPA-5?

Good question , I was drawn to the Emotiva from the glowing reviews here . But it is a new company compaired to Parasound , experience = good in this area . I never heard the Emotiva but at this time I question it's staying power in the market place and in your system .

keep this in mind, just because you have 200w, doesn't mean 200w is sent to the speaker. it has it available. if the mains needs more power (for some odd reason) then it will draw it from the other channels that are not using the entire 200w.

if it were me, i would get a xpa-3 and let your receiver power the rears. if you want to get super swanky, then get the xpa-5 and the umc-1 and never look back. sell the yammy and put it toward your new emotiva seperate set up.

enjoy!

• Moderators

Good question , I was drawn to the Emotiva from the glowing reviews here . But it is a new company compaired to Parasound , experience = good in this area . I never heard the Emotiva but at this time I question it's staying power in the market place and in your system .

Yes Parasound has been around for a long time, but they had to start somewhere too. What if no one bought their products when they first came out because they were the new kid? As far as staying power, as long as they keep producing quality products, keep enough markup to pay their bills, I think we might see them for years to come. Just my personal opinion.

Reality is in today's economy, any company can go under if they operate above their means and do not keep a tight eye on their finances.

IF you get a Emotiva make sure you have a sturdy, very sturdy rack. That sucker weighs 70lbs plus and thats the XPA 3. I don't know what the XPA 5 weighs. Also, you can get one and if you don't like it you have 30 days to send it back. Good luck hunting and tell use how it turns out.

IF you get a Emotiva make sure you have a sturdy, very sturdy rack. That sucker weighs 70lbs plus and thats the XPA 3. I don't know what the XPA 5 weighs. Also, you can get one and if you don't like it you have 30 days to send it back. Good luck hunting and tell use how it turns out.

LOL......70 pounds. Pa-shaw.......

Ask frzninvt what his Sherbourne 7/2100A weighs (I know 'cause I had one of them sucka's and it may be the reason my back still hurts to this day). [:o]

Tom

Ok, bear with me here. If I got the Marantz SR8001, would I be hurting it by running my RF7's on small? Seeing how low the ohms drop on the RF7's, would it be hurting the receiver over the long run? It be used for 90% movies, and 10% music.....

Ok, bear with me here. If I got the Marantz SR8001, would I be hurting it by running my RF7's on small? Seeing how low the ohms drop on the RF7's, would it be hurting the receiver over the long run? It be used for 90% movies, and 10% music.....

Not at all. I actually had the Marantz sr8001 with my RF-7's and they sounded great! You'll love it. I had an Acurus 300X3 amp that I ran with my Denon 3805 and it really brought my 7's to life. When I purchased the Marantz, I found I liked the sound better without the Acurus, so I sold it.

You won't be hurting the 8001 at all, especially with the RF-7s set to small. If you run them full range and have the volume at incredibly high levels every time you're listening to something then you might shorten the life of the 8001. Most speakers have very widely ranging ohm resistances though. That's why you'll many times see them stamped with "8 ohms nominal" or "8 ohms compatible." That means they'll work well with 8 ohm amplification but they aren't 8 ohms resistance from 20Hz to 20kHz.

Thanks guys. Thats pretty much what I wanted to hear. I just dont have the $ to go seperates right now. So I think I will drive over and pick up one of the 8001's from acc4less and use that. :) The longest the receiver will ever be on is just for one movie for the most part, so I guess I wont have to many problems. And the fact that the dealer is 20 min away makes me feel a lil better if something were to happen. Thanks everyone......I will just put the xpa-5 and umc-1 and on wish list for now. lol