Something is missing?

JSChapman

I wonder if you guys can help me out here. Just to be quick and straight to the point, I feel like I am missing something with my surround speakers. Like a sense of spaciousness. I have a very small room (10x12x8) with my S1's placed directly to my side at five feet above the floor and two feet from the back wall. Is it me, my placement, or what? They are already mounted but, I am willing to do some patch work. Any help would be awesome, Thanks guys!

• Moderators

If your chair/sofa is all the way to the back wall that could be part of the problem, try moving it out a couple of feet if you can, also if they can be moved try them on the back wall, being a small room you would need all the help you can get to make it sound spacious.

If your chair/sofa is all the way to the back wall that could be part of the problem

That could be the problem but, the sofa is in-line with the side surrounds which puts IT two feet from the back wall as well. As far as rear placement is concerned. My understanding is WDST speakers are meant to be placed on the sides. If rear placement would fill in that gap then, I guess it would be alright.

• Moderators

OK I said that because they say if your backed up directly to the back wall your brain knows there is no space behind you and makes the illusion of rear effects harder to sell to your brain.

I didn't realize the sofa was a couple feet from the back wall, maby try temporally moving the speakers to the rear. I have even heard in small rooms people have put the speakers on the ground behind the sofa firing up and reflecting of the back walls to try to give a more spacious sound. Also sometimes some of the DSP's settings in the receiver can give more or less spaciousness.

No matter what you have to do as long as it sounds good for your room that's all that matters.

When I had WDST speakers I had them on the rear walls because it was my only choice and it sounded good, I would think it does not really matter because they are designed to direct sound in both directions, there nicknames are " sound sprayers".

Thanks for helping me out with this. The rest of the system sound phenomenal to me and everyone else that has listened to it. I could try a couple of things with placement as well as tweaking some settings in the receiver. I'll try them right now and post back with any changes I make.

Okay, so here is the verdict. I ran my Pioneer's Auto MCACC then manually adjusted a few settings (speaker size) and I also bumped up the rear db's a bit. Surprisingly it made a noticeable difference. Still tweaking some settings but, I am getting closer to what I want. I'm still open to further suggestions but, until then. Thanks so far dtel!

• Moderators

Glad it's getting there, don't thank me I just repeating things i read hear and tried, everyone goes thru these different problems.

You said your open to further suggestions, so here's a fun one..

Put in your favorite music turn down the lights, now set only the left channel playing, now bring in two great looking blonds and sit on the sofa and after a while you will not even notice only half the speakers playing........see it's all in your head ! [:D]

Put in your favorite music turn down the lights, now set only the left channel playing, now bring in two great looking blonds and sit on the sofa and after a while you will not even notice only half the speakers playing........see it's all in your head ! Big Smile

Ha Ha! Just finished my movie and wanted to check back here. I needed a good laugh and some encouragement. Thanks LOL

• Moderators

Put in your favorite music turn down the lights, now set only the left channel playing, now bring in two great looking blonds and sit on the sofa and after a while you will not even notice only half the speakers playing........see it's all in your head ! Big Smile

If I tried that, my wife would make sure something was missing...can you say Loraina Bobbit? [:P]

I had a pair of Synergy SS.5s for a short while as side surrounds and I can tell you that when I switched to RS-42s it made a HUGE difference in the sound you describe that you're lacking. If you'd rather stay with the Synergy series to match your front speakers I'd suggest the KSP-S6s as they are very similar to the current RS series.

I think where I've got it right now (settings) will work but, I wonder if upgrading to a slightly bigger or better surround speaker would make a difference. Maybe even the S2's? I mean it sounds AWESOME, really! My family says it sounds awesome too but, I don't know. Kinda wish I could do some sort of comparison test. It's not that the S1's are lacking. They just don't seem to have that big, spacious, room filling sound.

Oh no, you got the upgrade bug. You better hide your wallet.

I'm infected again! NOOOOOO! On a serious note, I think I'll end up running the surrounds a little hot. The S1's aren't as efficient as other Klipsch speakers which could be the problem.I'll try the following calibration levels, Front 3 speakers all at (80dB), Subwoofer at (83dB) and surrounds at (83dB). Running them a little hot might just get me what I'm looking for.