What Klipsch horns do I have?

Could you post some pics of the speaker on top. It looks like you have some early custom khorns. In the early days people would by the bass bins and then add whatever they wanted on top. Are there any labels? Please post pics!!! They look wonderful. Very cool.....

Welcome to the forums!!!

Klipsch_3.jpgKlipsch_4.jpgKlipsch_5.jpg

Klipsch_6.jpg

I believe you are right. In the pictures I can see ink marks on the horns and the horn driver looks like a replacement. I did not see that before.

I was told that this material had a better sound.

So do you think these are one off speakers? The wood work looks factory perfect.

The covering material makes it look late 60s or early 70s.

I did not see any name plates.

Again, thanks for any help on these.

It looks like an early kit or custom build khorn. Do you have one or two? An ebay search will show you the going rate on those altecs. They are usually very well regarded. That paper horn is a real trip. WOW. I didn't know what to expect when you mentioned it. The custom build of the tophat is really cool. Have you listened to it yet?

That looks like a custom build to me. It must be a two way set up. The way the builder made the top hat fit the Altec multi-cell horn is very creative. That driver looks like a large format Altec, maybe a 288 or 291. I'd love to see some more pics. Maybe one of the crossovers?

That looks like a custom build to me. It must be a two way set up. The way the builder made the top hat fit the Altec multi-cell horn is very creative. That driver looks like a large format Altec, maybe a 288 or 291. I'd love to see some more pics. Maybe one of the crossovers?

Look at the multicell horn it is thick paper!!!! PAPER!!!! What a trip. Whoever built these was very skilled.

What's a crossover? The device that seperates the base tones to the base driver from the treble? Like I said, a newbie.

Yes, there are 2 sets of speakers ... however the widow of the owner did not know what the driver was and trashed it. Seems the husband pulled it for some reason before he died. I noticed they are not cheep to replace.

I have heard them, they sounded good. But I am tone death. I need my X, Mrs. New York Opera Queen, to hear them. She has a great ear as well as incredable voice.

I believe one 8 multicell horn needs to be redone. The other may be salvagable, but I believe it would look better matched.

One needs to be recovered. Would they be worth more with the vintage gold / brown covering or a more modern black??

The finish is not perfect, but with a little polish and touch up, it would be near perfect and look authentic.

Thanks for the responces.

Welcome to the forum!

Are those horns made of heavy paper or are they a sheet metal fabrication? You could store them, in any case, and replace with a newer Altec horn that would match the drivers.

The woofers can be had for around $125 each, give or take a little.

Yes, the crossover is what splits the amp output into the frequencies for the woofer and tweeter (bass and treble).

Bruce

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, it is thick paper for horns. A friend has dealed with this stuff
his whole life and told me that some believe paper has better sound
reproduction at certain frequencies.

Back side looks like quality plywood. Exposed sides are Ethan Allen
level. There is no water damage. Just dust.

I found the model of the drivers to be Altec’s 802-D.

I will have to ask why they think they are Klipsch if instead they were
custom.

Dana

"Back side looks like quality plywood. "

The photo clearly shows a 'D' ply with loose knots, some patched with putty.

http://www.geocities.com/bam_bam_dana/Klipsch_6.jpg

"There is no water damage. "

The photo show what looks like a watermark going up about 1-1/2" from the bottom, and splintering of the type seen with waterdamage. The finish on the front is cloudy along the bottom, looks like moisture damage to me.