ok, now I need new headphones...

justin_tx_16

I have just decided that my current headphones will just not do any longer. i have some Seinhieser headphones, but they require an amp i believe, to get good loud sound. what can i get for a pretty cheap price (seeing as i will only use them at night) headphones that do not require an external amp, just what a cd player, computer, and whatnot output for the headphones. right now i have some Yamaha studio headphones and some sony (the wrap around style) headphones that i use, and both bottom out far too easily. i would like to be able to do this offline, gonna make a trek (5 minutes) to Tweeter tomorrow, but before i go, any ideas on this?

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Might I suggest taking a peek in this forum called Affordable Quality Headphones(I believe). I think the majority(including myself) consider Grado the best for the $. SR-125=$130-$150 & SR-80=$80-$100. When you say you'll be using these at night I must add that these are "open" type cans. They don't seal around the ears like Senns and they are quite audible to other people. I wake my girlfriend up sometimes 20 feet away from the bed behind a closed door!

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

i see... i would then like a closed design. i think i will go with some new Senn's (which are really comfortable BTW), hope my GTXP has enough power to give some push. will i get powerful bass with the ~$100 Sennhisers? Sony claims like 14 Hz, but at what volume.. see what i mean, what Hz could i get at what volume, anyone have this kind of info? i am a big bass person Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

Justin... I don't know how they sound or what they feel like on for a bit... but the Sony Infrared Wireless Dolby Digital Headphones have some promise. They even do 5.1 dts! They are supposed to give you a proper 5.1 image where ever you might be in the room. Maybe they are a little more than you are looking for a $400. If you get a chance to try them, let us know your opinion. Thanks. HornEd

Justin, are you saying that you like your senn's but don't want to get an hp amp? You could get a small, portable hp amp for around $100 and keep the senns. I use my grado's as my all purpose hp's..even portable (discman to hp amp to grado's). The amp is small, about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

I have a pair of Sony MDR-V600 headphones, I bought them about 6 months ago and paid $100 for them. The goddamn things are already falling apart!!! The foam around the ears is DISSOLVING! The band is loose and there is NO way to tighten it. I too may be in Justin's position, I use my head phones for about 4-6 hours per day, so I need quality and DURABILITY. I want to spend about $150, so about the same as Justin?

quote:

Originally posted by kenratboy:

I have a pair of Sony MDR-V600 headphones, I bought them about 6 months ago and paid $100 for them. The goddamn things are already falling apart!!! The foam around the ears is DISSOLVING! The band is loose and there is NO way to tighten it. I too may be in Justin's position, I use my head phones for about 4-6 hours per day, so I need quality and DURABILITY. I want to spend about $150, so about the same as Justin?

very much the same. From 9-whenever i use my headphones, and it is really driving me crazy with the lack of bass and loudness. i would use the Senns i allready have but they are used mostly for my dad's studio which means i would have to go back and forth with them... i want to spend ~$100-$150max. i am going to tweeter today to take a gander Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

Justin,

First forget all the wireless SUPER DUPER El gizmos with DTS and sourround EX.Its all gizmos in the end not sound quality.You like gizmos? Go buy them NOW and get a FREE coupon for hearing aids!

The headphones I recomend...

Sennheiser HD600(damn good,reference caliber),HD580,565 Ovation(inexpensive and great)

Grado RS1(yeah yeah the king the dynamic headphone hill),SR-125 and SR-80(awesome budget units)

Koss PortaPro(if you must have very inexpensive and want to blast your ears)

Sony makes some good units but they cost BIG $$$ their reference closed back are super duper but cost two grand and dont beat the Grado RS1 by much.The rest of the Sony lineup is a joke.Same with many mass market ME TOO's.

Bit out of topic but...

Oh if GREEN you have STAX you should own,the very best but the price will make your knees weak.The Omega II 's with the solid state or tube energiser(amp) are are heaven sent.

me I have the 565 Ovation,HD600's and Grado RS1

WHO BETTER?

TheEAR(s) Now theears

thanks for all the info ears. i went to tweeter and spent ~1 hour there... i was about to get teh Senn 600's but decided against it, the sound was only 'great' when hooked to an amp, and i doubt my GTXP or PM 5.1 headphone jacks could put that much power behind them... so my total was ~$400 for a good headphone system. is there any way around this? i wan some serious bass but i could not get it with any of the Senns with a cd player or mp3 player at the store. i am not going the grado route, i have tried them, wonderful sound, but ouch on the ears Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

I recently picked up a nice pair of Senn #570s that seem to be the ticket for me, pretty good bass and comfortable to wear for long periods of time, haven't tried the 600's but can't afford them by the sounds of it!

The Grados, while even the store owner told me they were GREAT for music, they hurt your ears after a short time...You'd think that Grados would <i>Hear</I> their customers complaints and provide a better transport to the head?

G2

I mentioned in another post that the Grado headband is flexible metal. That's all you have to do is bend it to the shape of your head.

------------------

Outlaw 1050 A/V Receiver

Rega P3 Turntable

AMC CD8b CD Player

Toshiba 3108 DVD Player

Klipsch KG 4.2s(main)

2 Dynaco A-10/V IIs(centers)

Cerwin Vega E-706s(rears)

Cerwin Vega LW-12(sub)

Parasound PPH-100 Phono Preamp

Vampire Wire Digital Interconnects & Speaker Wire

i have tried them... just don't like the feel, though they sound great, i will hate to have to wear them for extended periods of time, so far over 5 hours of headphones use tonight/today.

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

quote:

Originally posted by mike stehr:

If you can get those Cornwalls that your dad's freind has, or some Heresys, you can strap those to your head.

With a little Tube headphone amp.

Just Joshin' ya, Justin!
Wink.gif

hmmmm sounds like fun Smile.gif the Heresy II-H.... sounds like a good idea Smile.gif hehe

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help