Downfiring KSW-12

BGCID

Going with Klipsch S3 series speakers for a home theatre setup. Told by salesman to not buy the downfiring KSW-12 sub as it is going below the TV and because there is carpet he recommended the Definitive Technology PS100 instead as it is upfiring and the sound won't get killed by the carpet. Thoughts? Thanks!

The frequencies handled by subwoofers tend to be unaffected by things like carpet, drapes, etc... It is the higher frequencies that you have to worry about. So, I'd buy the sub that gives you the best bang for the buck without regard to whether it is downfiring, upfiring, side firing, or whatever!! (The little tiny cynic in me is saying that your salesman gets a better commission on Def Tech than he does Klipsch...).

Doug

------------------

My System

i had the KSW-10 on carpet and it sounded great.

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Right on, Doug! Just another example of the ignorance or deception... or maybe a little of both that plagues audio sales personnel since BobG moved on to greener pastures.

Also, all the more reason to use this Forum where we can help defend ourselves from the myths... even if we would like them to be true now and then. And here we even have BobG to reign us in when we go too far astray in imaging what Klipsch technology can do.

BGCID, the length of the bass waves coming out of your sub are probably longer than your room... so an inch or so of carpet & padding can only take the edge of the sound in your imagination... or so I have been told.

Of course, no loudspeaker is more involved with room acoustics than a subwoofer... particularly when you have a herd of them. So, remember that any sub you audition in a store is likely to sound quite different in a home environment. That's why it is especially good to buy from a dealer with a fair return policy. Also, no loudspeaker needs to be tried in so many places in your environment. It can be tricky... but oh, so, rewarding when the magic spot is found. cwm32.gif HornEd

"Told by salesman to not buy the downfiring KSW-12 sub as it is going below the TV and because there is carpet he recommended the Definitive Technology PS100 instead as it is upfiring and the sound won't get killed by the carpet."

Wait...LOL

This salesman has crab flavour Jell-O for brains,what he told you is pure bogus and witchcraft.

A carpet that eats bass! Give me one,no sell me one I am going to give you good green for it! Serious

Carpets dont compromise bass,in fact the lower spectrum is the least afected by carpets,drapes.The KSW12 will work fine,I use my KSW12 and 15 on a thick carpet and they perform damn well,thank you.

And as good ole HornEd said be sure to audition the speakers and ...SUB at home.You may find what sounds great at the store sounds less great at home and the reverse can also be true.

Before I buy I test ALL gear at home,unless I know the make and trust the product.Still it can be tricky,a home audition is a must in my book.

Good luck

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 02-25-2002 at 08:32 PM

Although I agree with all that is said above...especially the part about auditioning the subs at home...

You said: "it is going below the TV"

Can you be more specific? Does below the TV mean in some sort of AV cabinet? I would not want to put a

KSW-12 or really any sub in an enclosure...too much opportunity for lost energy and vibrations.

I have the KSW12 on pretty thick carpet & padding. They are definitely not killing the sound of the sub. Every time I watch "The Matrix", I'm ready to duck & run (especially the helicopter crashing into the building). This bad boy rocks out with music too. You ought to hear it kick out the bass on the DVD-Audio of Deep Purple's "Machine Head". I'm very satisfied with the way the KSW12 performs.

------------------

Lew

Not Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll

This message has been edited by lovedrummin on 02-25-2002 at 11:04 PM

In all the posts I've read here, I'm surprised no one has ever mentioned this tip before (I picked it up on another forum).

I have the KSW 12. Placing a 14 inch ceramic tile UNDER the sub worked wonders for me. I like the sound of the bass much more than I did before. It seems much sharper and less muddy.

So I do believe carpet affects downward firing subs. But you don't have to live with it, just buy a ceramic tile or piece of flat concrete from a hardware store.

This message has been edited by belial on 02-26-2002 at 10:50 PM

watch out for magnetic interference putting the sub that close to a crt (cathode ray tube) tv!! look for color distortions in your picture(easier w/a solid color background). this could ruin your tv tube! avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 in the house!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

bel, shouldn't be any dif for bass waves at those low cycle rates. maybe someone else could explain the conclusive technicals on that. i'm sure the engineers that design bottom fire sub looked into it.

my velo hgs-18 (shielded) sits in a bottom cabinet. no other choice w/ the limited space i gots. but seems to work audiowise as well as when tried it temporarily on the floor. just had to eliminate some vibrations in the a/v cabinet & also have to keep pushing it back in to the cabinet (it creeps Frown.gif).

bel, does your ksw stay put pretty well? i'd try spikes on a carpet but need to look into something to better anchor mine on the a/v cabinet floor.

------------------

My Home Systems Page