Great songs to blast on your sub

justin_tx_16

I am listening to the Alicia Key's cd, The Life has some great bass in it. We all know Diva Dance is a great song, but what else out there can leave even a high end subwoofer ghasping for air? is there such a thing? lets find out... Smile.gif

(songs, not trance or bass tests)

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don't for get this Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

quote:

Originally posted by justin_tx_16:

but what else out there can leave even a high end subwoofer ghasping for air? is there such a thing?

Classical music, specially when a pipe organ is involved, try Bach for this. On newer music Enya have several recordings with lower 30's and some high 20's (Hz), try also Mike Oldfield, Vangelis, John Serrie, Skinny Puppy or Laurie Anderson.

Manuel,

Now a large pipe organ is THE test for any serious sub,it separates the wannabe toys from real hard core subs.

So far only the Aerial and SVS Ultras gave me a real deal rendition of the glorious instrument.

The HGS18 gives me a hint...not near the 16Hz power,the Revel 15 is ah not glorious below 20Hz and the Sunfire Signature starts to say 20Hz PLEASE.

The Aerial is one heck of a performer,and the SVS Ultras are bargains.

Yeah some Enya records do have sub sonic bass,in the 20Hz region!Impressive,the type of traquil sub sonic hypnotic bass.Very nice

All the electronica is mostly about above 40Hz boom boom.Most subs sound good,with pipe organs most subs say HELP.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

i can attest to the amazingness (hehe) of pipeorgans. while in Denmark and France i was able to listen to some during church. they are truly amazing, i will download some or maybe even get a cd Smile.gif to bad my subs will all be murdered by it, i need some SVS's Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

Pomps & Pipes from Reference Recordings

AMAZING

Track four will rip the voice coil from the cone,even the SVS Ultra say ADD MORE ULTRAS THEEAR

This track has abyss sub bass with awesome power,all the electrocic pseudo bass can hide.

No sub I tested so far can do full justic to track four,I would need a good 4 Aerials or four SVS SS to play this one like I would like.

cwm44.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

jeez ears! sounds great. i need to make a trip to your crib! just follow the vibrations... though that could be shadamir's place too Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

TheEAR: As I am a electronic fan, I will have to respectfully disagree with you about 40Hz "boom." I have a spectrum analyzer on my computer and my Autechre and to a lesser extent, Boards of Canada recordings have tracks that go into the 10's and 20's Hz. There is one song, a little ambiant piece, that has a 18-22Hz RUMBLE that makes it feel like you are at the ocean with waves coming in. This is the ONLY song I have ever heard that has special effects. This would be 100% LOST on a non-subwoofer system. Other songs try to set an "industrial" atmosphere or 90's rap (though it is NOT rap in any shape or form, hell, there is NO singing in 1/2 my CD's) by placing distorted, deep bass in the tracks that give my dual 15"'s a workout at a modest volume level, it also builds a good atmosphere and keeps you from relaxing. An exploding bass sound in the middle of a peaceful track can scare you if you are not ready for it. I love to crank it, and put my remotes where I cannot turn it down Smile.gif.

Yes, a lot of the club and dance stuff is synthesised kick drums and MMMMMMMM's in it. But the stuff I lesten to is done 90-100% on a computer and the guys, especially Autechre, play with your system by putting songs on that mess with your mind and your systems limits. Thats one reason I like it. Its wierd, like me Smile.gif.

quote:

Originally posted by kenratboy:

An exploding bass sound in the middle of a peaceful track can scare you if you are not ready for it. I love to crank it, and put my remotes where I cannot turn it down
Smile.gif

YOu should get the Jurassic Park Dolby Digital Test track, scared the bejesus out of me.

------------------

-justin

ProMedia 5.1 Tech Help

Ken,

Yes some electronica has very deep sub bass,and does make my room(s) shake like there was an earthqake,I heard some pieces with below 20Hz bass!

Its simply the organs real lifelike power that is so impressive,you should listen to Pomps & Pipes ...track number four at realistic volume.If your subs are solid (I mean mo more than -5dB at 16Hz from reference at 50Hz then you will hear the full force).

With the Aerial I get some chills I dont get from any other sub,I would like to add a second Aerial but I doubt I will find it second hand again and besides they cost MUCHO $.

I need to strat a fund and get the cash to buy at least another Aerial.The Aerial is clean,servo control clean and with better dynamics.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

EAR: What are some good CD's or DVD's that have some good organ tunes on them? I don't dare to venture into that would without some guidence. If you can give the some names of some CD/DVD I can buy online, I would be very grateful.

Aerial fund? You could get a butt-load of subs and go on tour, blow some skylights out of a few convention center, you know, just some good fun! I could see a 20 foot wall of Sunfire's and Velodyne's!

quote:

Originally posted by TheEAR:

The HGS18 gives me a hint...not near the 16Hz power

I know, I listened to this very sub with some Bach, that was a couple of years ago and I thought was really impressive... Of course, now that I know there are "lower subs" out there... what I want to do is to hear it again with a couple of SVS Ultras...

This message has been edited by Manuel on 02-28-2002 at 12:47 PM

quote:

Originally posted by kenratboy:

Boards of Canada recordings have tracks that go into the 10's and 20's Hz. There is one song, a little ambiant piece, that has a 18-22Hz RUMBLE that makes it feel like you are at the ocean with waves coming in.

What's the name of the song? Who plays it?

And I have to tell you that your image about the ocean is really good! hmm... I wonder, how low does the ocean sound??

Ken,

Err I dont have any muisc on DVD's,yet.I can recomend Reference Recordings Pomps & Pipes.Its a very high quality recording to show off your system ability to portray space and sub bass capabilities.

I have to dig in my two boxes,as I am doing some heavy renovations(passing wires and adding two 20AMP outlets,changing receptacles,painting too) in my large audio room and most of my Cd's are boxed up.I have at least a dozen of pipe organ CD's some even better.Its tI used to bring this CD to high end shops to test subs,that is why it stands out.

These days I listen to my PC speakers most of the time Frown.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears