Luxman R-115

willland

Looking at a Luxman R-115 stereo receiver(70w/channel). Seller wants $100.00. Pictures and ad indicate very nice condition with everything functioning properly. Any opinions, experience, etc. will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Bill, I can't comment on the R-115... (so this is probably no help)[;)]...but I do own the R113, a nice sounding receiver, tho mine dos'nt have great FM reception, maybe it's drifted out of spec. build quality is'nt up to Luxman's usual standard, but it's ok. Mine is doing duty on the deck driving my Dynacos and it keeps the neighborhood happy.[:D]

I have an r-104..... solid receiver, no reason to assume the r-115 could be much different other than power.....not nearly as high end as their vintage or new stuff, but solid.

$100 ??? I have no idea what they go for....lots of used 10 year old gear in that price range.....

Bill,

I have a R-117 receiver, the next model up. It is a great sounding unit and plays clean at low power so it works great with Klipsch. Does the one you are looking at have the remote, box, and/or manual? I would jump on it if everything is good. Let me know how it works out.

triceratops

Thanks all for your replies.

Does the one you are looking at have the remote, box, and/or manual?

I called the guy and he said he did not have any of those but he is the original owner. He is throwing in a pair of older woodgrain Pioneer speakers in good shape. He did not specify model.

Bill

It seems the remotes are often lost--I guess a universal remote could probably be used. I always ask about those things because I think it offers some insight into how careful the seller is with equipment. It's certainly not a deal breaker, but I would look the unit over carefully, making sure there are no missing or burred screws or other signs of abuse. I also look for service stickers to see if there have been reliabilty problems in the past. Hope it works out.

I would sell the Pioneer speakers locally on Craigs List to reduce the cost of the receiver. Some people love the Pioneer and Sansui speakers from that era (which likely came from a PX), but I think they are mostly nostalgia items for folks who were in military service during the 60's-70's.

I would sell the Pioneer speakers locally on Craigs List to reduce the cost of the receiver.

You read my mind. The Luxman is in really good shape and plays wonderfully. It even sounds good hooked up to the Pioneer CS-B5000 floorstanders the seller threw in. I will let the speakers go for $30.00/pair on CL or sell to my co-worker to reduce the cost of the Luxman to $70.00. I have not hooked the receiver up to my Forte's(test run only) yet in fear I might just like the combination and not want to sell the Luxman. I don't think it will bump the Marantz out of it's rightful place though.

Bill

I have not heard an R-115 but I would guess the rated watts will sound like a whole lot more! IMO Luxman is very neutral=clean=crisp in design and thus offers little in terms of coloration of sound. I like that! A common design philosophy, I think with Klipsch. I think many marketing mis-steps set Luxman back a long way in those "mid years".

• 2 weeks later...

I have not heard an R-115 but I would guess the rated watts will sound like a whole lot more! IMO Luxman is very neutral=clean=crisp in design and thus offers little in terms of coloration of sound. I like that! A common design philosophy, I think with Klipsch. I think many marketing mis-steps set Luxman back a long way in those "mid years".

I picked up a nice luxman set-up a few months ago, I like the sound of it a lot. Not there top of the line stuff but not shabby at all.

post-21054-13819487752124_thumb.jpg