What about shipping vinyl during hot weather? Warpage avoidance?

Anybody have any bright ideas on this? What happens if a guy buys expensive vinyl off ebay in the summer, is there problems getting it shipped unwarped? Some kind of press type gizmo? Insulated packaging?

Any bright ideas out there? Anybody have experience shipping vinyl in hot weather? What's the threshold temp for the warping to start?

I would not do it . Things could work out fine but you never know how long it could be riding around before being delivered . The final delivery is what I would be worried about .

I don't have experience in shipping and receiving vinyl but I did have an issue with wine . Ordered a few bottles over the net in the sumertime a couple of years ago . All were insulated , one had a cold pack . Two made it , one didn't .

I used to order a lot of records by mail order, shipped my share as well, and took few precautions due to season. I also worked at a record store that received vinyl shipments weekly for 10 plus years. I've had a lot more problems with broken records than waped ones. Unless the record is a one of a kind, or at least very scarce, I would just make sure that the record is insured for full value. Package it well, and send it "signature required" so that if the recipient isn't home, they have to pick it up from UPS, FedEx or USPS. That way, it doesn't get left in the sun for several hours, and if it is damaged, they can return it on the spot.

My biggest concern, when ordering vinyl, wasn't warpage, but the fact that most people were unaware that if the vinyl is left in it's jacket, movement during shipment can cause damage to the spine. Always remove the vinyl from the jacket (leave it in the white paper inner sleeve, removed from the cover). If it is in a printed inner sleeve, remove it and place in a plain white inner, which should be removed from the jacket.

If the weather is extremely warm, and the record is not sealed, you may consider removing the shrinkwrap as there have been rare incidents where the plastic tightens around, and damages the cover, or even the record, but this is the exception to the rule