Best Klipsch speakers for Home Theater

jha

I am soon going to get a dedicated home thaeter room, and i am searching for some speakers for the Left/center/right. I have always loved the sound of horns, so I am positive that the choice is going to be on speakers with horns.

But which Klipsch speakers would you think is the best? I have looked much at the THX-Ultra2 speakers, the Heresy III speakers and even their Pro cinema speakers (KPT-325). Which would you think would deliver the best clarity, dynamics and overall best sound for movies? No matter which speaker I choose, it will be cut of at 80hz, so bass performance is not important.

jha: Welcome: Nice to see you posting. I'm sure a lot of folks out there probably have the same question; "what is best?" I can only answer that with: "It depends". If you have a large budget, the best I have heard in home theater, EVER is the Paladium line. Remember, that is only MY opinion. Everyone hears things differently so not everyone is going to agree. I don't have real deep pockets and we have space limitations, but I still wanted excellent sound so I purchased RF-7's and an RC-7 back in 2003 for our theater and love them. RF-83's will do pretty much the same job. If you want heritage speakers, I have heard outstanding HT performance from Klipschorn-loaded theaters, LaScala theaters and even Heresy III theaters. Naturally, the THX system rocks, too and don't forget about the in-ceiling THX system, too (it's amazing). If you want to go smaller, there is the ICON series (I prefer the self-powered models) and then if you are on a real budget or have size constaints, check out the new HD Theater 1000's, 500's or 300's. You will be amazed at how they can fill a room while staying on budget. I won't make the decision of what to go with for you; that's still up to you and your ears to decide. Plus, you must take your own room's acoustics into consideration, too. Best of luck. Listen to a lot of systems using the same reference source to try and get an even comparison. Just the fact that you love horns tells me you are on the right track. Happy shopping! -Glenn

I know my question to start with is too "open". Sorry for that :) But I asked it so a discussion about the differences between the speakers could be started.

The room which they shall be used in is about 5x6 metres and will be a dedicated cinema room with acoustical treatments on all walls. They will be placed behind an AT-screen.

By just looking at the specs my vote would go to either the Heresy III or the pro cinema speakers (which are much bigger - i know). The reason for this is that the horn go as low as 800hz where the other speakers crosses over at about 1800hz. I don't know if my theory is correct, but I would think that this lower crossover frequency will provide clearer voices etc.

Based on what I've seen on this forum, all Klipsch speakers are suitable for HT use. Which ones you choose depends on your budget and room size.

This would probably represent the biggest practical setup:

post-23736-13819486395282_thumb.jpg

Yeah, an example of how you can spend lots of money and still overlook important details. Probably sounds pretty good all the same.

Bill Hendrix's setup looks to have all the details right. Isn't he the one with the Jubilee - 402 JubScala - Jubilee set across the front?

The room which they shall be used in is about 5x6 metres and will be a dedicated cinema room with acoustical treatments on all walls.

Room size has been stated.

Yup, I guess that's all you need to know....time to start designing!

What room treatments and how have they been predetermined? What is the ceiling height and is it flat, sloped, other? Which way is the viewer facing and what distance from what sized screen? Is this a single use sealed room, multi-use room with other spaces to be considered, is it open to other large areas like balcony's, kitchens, utility areas? I'd like to have just a few little details like that.

You guys go right ahead and design a system without knowing these things, have a ball.

I don't actually have the room yet. It is in my new upcoming apartment. The 5-meter wall will be the wall where the screen/speakers are placed. The seatings will be far back in the room from the screen. The speakers will be placed behind an AT screen. I am thinking of placing them in some kind of baffle wall made of absorbing material.

I have not figured out precisely how to treaten the room yet. But absorbing material should be placed on side walls and rear wall. I like it when the room is almost "dead".
As for surround speakers I will probably go with the THX diploes because of the seating close to the walls.

I have real a lot of threads on other forums where people are using pro cinema speakers with great succes. According to them, no consumer gear can beat it no matter price. But I think their rooms are bigger. Don't know how the horns sound when seated that close. Therefore I am considering the Heritage/THX series also.

This is a curious topic for me as well, so would be fun to read some experiences and comparisons from people that have listened to all or some.

I have a 100% dedicated room (may have seen my post and photos in the home theater section) and just placed an order for THX Ultras! Should be here by Tuesday. My room is 30'x17'x9', so fairly large. I can't wrap my mind around the rave reviews across the board for the THX's. The boxes are so.....well, small. How can they possibly live up to the adjectives used to describe the sound? I suppose I will find out.

If we can't give good suggestions that are specific to the OP, can we just hear some experiences that others have had comparing them?

By next week, I'll be able to compare the THX's to Khorns for theater use.

Congrats with your new speakers! Will be exciting to hear about the results! And you're right - the thing I also wanted to know with this thread was the differences between the the different speakers people have experienced. For example, if the only difference is SPL or if one speaker is better than the other.