RF-82 and RB-81 reviewed in What Hi-Fi?

Hifi jim

Not an overwhelmingly positive review, but good nonetheless and some people have written in to defend our beloved Klipsch sound (see Your Opinion tab). I think both reviews show the difference between British and American preferences, more than an accurate review of either speaker. The Brits tend to like the laid back B&W, Harbeth, Spendor, etc. type sound, while us Yankees like our music alive and in the room (think Magnepan, Altec and Klipsch). Still, it's good to see Klipsch getting more press. http://whathifi.com/Reviews/Hi-Fi-Reviews/Hi-fi-speakers-Reviews/

This review is pointless. Makes you wonder if the reviewer actually even listened to the speakers.

"Lack subtlety; hint of hardness in the midrange and treble; bass notes could have greater precision..."

Sounds like they are reviewing wine or something. This review site is much better:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/speakers/1850/test-bench-klipsch-rf-83-home-theater-speaker-system.html

It is good that they are getting the media attention, but it's an unfortunate review.

This reviewer avoids sounding overtly bias while at the same time deliberately expressing a few comments which will raise serious concerns with the discerning listener. He/she might as well just say "they're high-quality party speakers but are not for the person who takes listening seriously."

Don't pay too much attention to magazines. I just ripped one in half and threw it in the recycle bin. For some reason a home theater magazine has decided to start sending me their rag.

The last page had an attempt to be funny where the person wrote about how people are now buying LP's because they like the ritual of cleaning and the nostalgia of the pops and clicks. Apparently being completely uneducated on a subject but having access to be published every monh makes one an expert.

I then started to read about a Rotel AV receiver. The article started out by bashing anyone into two channel, comparing speakers to Stonehenge and stating how pointless it all was. I ripped it in half and threw it out. I am not into HT but do not discredit anyone for liking it. I'd like to have a buddy with a high end HT to enjoy, why not?

Sounds like the audio video place that told me B&W 600 series were way better than Klipsch blah blah blah. Just because B&W stuffs a lot of marketing crap down a sales persons throat to help sell stuff doesn't make it true. I'd agree the higher end B&W stuff sounds nice (that is if you spend a fortune on high output amps), but I put the RF-83's against any B&W speaker costing $3000 or less anyday. The manager even told me why would you buy the RF-83's. Duh, they were half off at their other store and sounded way better than anything anywhere close to the price. Plus the lower end B&W crap is made in China and my speakers were made in good old Arkansas. I'm so sick of audiophile's bashing Klipsch; the Klipsch products made in Arkansas are great sounding (not so sure of the Chinese Klipsch at Best Buy and others though) and you can drive them with almost any amp! Horns are definitely the way to go in terms of details, clarity and efficiency.

Yeah, the bookshelf speakers have too much slam... OK

At least it wasn't a complaint about how horns are shrill for a change...

I have them and the bass is just fine for the enclosure ! Upper registers are great, for their size RB-81 are good speakers. Great for my office!

"Lack subtlety; hint of hardness in the midrange and treble; bass notes could have greater precision..."

Sounds about right to me. That was pretty much my exact reaction to a pair of RF63's I heard. Could have been the room or associated equipment, though, at least to some extent.

Hey guys, I love dynamics and clarity as much as the next person, but that ain't the whole audio enchilada, ya know.

Hey guys, I love dynamics and clarity as much as the next person, but that ain't the whole audio enchilada, ya know.

Well, I can't comment on most models of Klipsch speakers, but my favourite thing about my RB-75s is that they are so smooth in the midrange and treble. My main reason for liking Klipsch's in general is because I like the sound of horns - to me (and others, obviously) they sound more "live" than other speakers I've heard. Even when a trumpet from my Klipsch's is obnoxiously in my face I love it because I know that's what it would sound like if it were right there.

The dynamics are great, but it wouldn't ever be a selling point for me.

I guess if you didn't like the RF-63's, you wouldn't like my RF-83's [:P] Set up on speakers does matter though, so that could be to blame. If you look at the lab data for the RF-83's at sound & vision magazine, you'll see they have a pretty flat response (for speakers in their price range), but I can't speak for the RF-63's. I do keep my RF-83's 3 feet from the wall in either direction, and maintain less than 11 foot listening distance (with speakers about 8' apart).

I use the RF-82 speakers as rears and they make great rear speakers especially for the price I paid $299/each during the thanksgiving sale at Ultimate Electronics! They are A+ speakers, but I do agree they don't sound as real to me as the RF-83's. On the RF-83, you hear acurate and smooth string detail, drums sound exactly like drums (not boomy, but I did move the speakers out from the wall to ensure this), and piano sounds just like a real piano.

I did end up angling the RF-83's down so they were pointed directly at my listening position. This greatly enhanced the string detail as I think there was considerably scattering of high frequencies as I live in an apartment and can't add any material on the walls and the ceilings are low. I found this link to be very informative about common sense speaker placement:

http://www.audiophysic.com/aufstellung/index_e.html

http://www.audiophysic.com/aufstellung/regeln_e.html

http://www.audiophysic.com/aufstellung/beispiel_e.html

You can also use this free program to fine tune your bass set up:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

• 1 month later...

Mmm, perhaps right, but I don’t entirely trust reviews that don’t give all important room dimensions, list test equipment and test the subject with other pieces of equipment and media…

lesen Sie Deutsch nicht

I have always thought What Hi Fi and related magazines publish highly suspect reviews. They offer reviews like politicians offer sound bites -deniable, no substance and it's what they think the readers or voters want to hear.

I wonder if they ever actually test these products(?)

Or are their reviews written as they peruse the manufacturers online specs(?)

post-15368-13819498667318_thumb.jpg

I have always thought What Hi Fi and related magazines publish highly suspect reviews. They offer reviews like politicians offer sound bites -deniable, no substance and it's what they think the readers or voters want to hear.

I wonder if they ever actually test these products(?)

Or are their reviews written as they peruse the manufacturers online specs(?)

Hallo. They have to start a blind test with the Bose Wave Music System.

This big marketing mystery brand ,I never see in any review , any Hifi magazine, or possibility to compare in a hifi shop and they give never a specification. It's like cola. LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think the review on the
RB-81's is bad at all in fact I think it’s pretty good and wouldn’t put me off buying
(I’ve owned a pair for 6 months and couldn’t be more impressed), I've seen the
UK Hi-Fi press slaughter decent speakers over the last three decades whilst
heaping undeserved praise on UK brands that to my ears sounded way over warm
and bass flabby, I prefer my Klipsch over all of my past 'rated' speakers
(Linn, Naim, TDL etc), to give a US speaker a 4 star rating in a UK publication
is nothing short of open revolution, sad but true

Sounds about right to me. That was pretty much my exact reaction to a pair of RF63's I heard. Could have been the room or associated equipment, though, at least to some extent.

I agree, sometimes I hate the shrillness. I have to turn down the volume.

How are those Energy speakers working out with your Onkyo? Did you ever try any of the Klipsch bookshelf? I'm thinking about getting some since I'm moving to an apartment. People seem to rave about the RB-5. I can also get some PSB Century 300i's real cheap. It's hard to find out what speakers match good with the Onkyo A-9555 from reading on the internet. I'm guessing slightly bright and dynamic speakers.

I agree, sometimes I hate the shrillness. I have to turn down the volume.

I'm starting to see more and more how other equipment in the chain contributes to this.

I just bought a Sony CA7ES cd player from a thrift shop for $25. It's in great shape, has decent specs and seems to be of decent quality. Today I compared it to my Sony XE500 and Philips CDR-880 for about an hour using a Kenwood KA-7100 and RB-75s. My conclusion:

The CA7ES had more clarity and a more "in your face" sound, but it was just too much. It was sometimes too bright and was particularly annoying with brass instruments playing loudly. It crossed over the threshold of brightness. My XE500 and CDR-880 might be lesser quality (perhaps the Philips is comparable), but they don't produce a shrill or harsh sound out of the RB-75s. I suspect the CA7ES would sound quite good with a more mellow amp, perhaps a tube amp. For now, I moved the CA7ES to the extremely mellow HK 330B and Design Acoustics PS10s.

So ... it makes me wonder what people are suffering through with their Klipsch speakers because of their choice of equipment?