Why is important speakers with low frequency response?

leo0418

Is it better for your main speakers to be full range? Yes. Is it necessary? No. Most a/v receivers amp section have to work harder when called on to reproduce low frequencies. When you add a subwoofer to the mix, the receiver sends a signal to the subs amp to reproduce those low, low frequencies therefore giving the avr a break so it can handle the rest of it's duties. Let the sub do what it is designed to do.

Bill

The best speakers have the best low frequency response. Not as important today with subs being so common but I think my statement is still true. Getting the bottom end right is expensive and not easy to do.

Thanx, Russ

Yet is seems to be so affordable and easy in a subwoofer. Just reinforces the point that splitting up duties is easier on all the equipment.

tragusa,

Subwoofer means "below the woofer", getting the 80 hz-30 hz range correct is a major accomplishment, only the best full range speaker systems get this right. The sub can fill in the rest but the better the speaker system the less NEED for a sub. I never drive so hard that I need to split my power, most of my listening is hovering around 1 watt average, if that. I don't have a newfangled reciever so my options are limited but I'd rather not use the woofer crossover and my best results have been running my mains full range.

Thanx, Russ

I wouldn't argue the point the same way if I were a "2-channel" guy. I'm 100% multi channel theater, and my mains are not even designed as full range. I'm nowhere near knowlegable enough to have an opinion any deeper than what I hear is what I know. For my system I see the benifits of the subwoofer and the relief it puts on the rest of my equipment. I really should keep my nose out of the "techical" forum. [:^)]

The only problem with relying on subs for 2 channel music playback is finding subs which are musical. If you are using the La Scala, Belle, or khorns it is especially difficult becasue the subs are likely not going to be able to keep up. If you are doing ht you might as well buy speakers that maybe go down to 60hz and then get subs to go lower. I've heard 5 Heresy's and 2 subs. This was one of my favorite ht systems. It is best to experiment and listen for yourself. What seems right for me may not be for you.

Also remember that a crossover is not a brick wall. If your crossover is 80 hz, there will still be information sent to the speaker below that frequency. I've heard a "rule of thumb" that you want your speakers to be able to go 1/2 to 1 octave below your crossover point.

I like having the crossover point as low as possible so that you get as much 'movement' in your HT action as possible. Look at it this way, as the crossover point rises and rises, the system becomes closer to MONO. If you have sufficient LF extension in ALL your speakers there would be need at all for subwoofage. Somewhere in between is the key.

Personally, I have my LS and KLF-C7 in front set to SMALL at 80 Hz (LS because although they are loud as all get-out, they do drop off quite a bit below 70 Hz), but my Cornwalls behind me are set to LARGE. That way, if some big action takes place that whooshes front to rear, I get a bit of kick in the pants and hear the FULL RANGE of frequencies move about the room.

Colter's rule of thumb is (if you get a single xover point in your receiver) to set your crossover point 10-20 Hz ABOVE the -3 db point of the least bass-capable speaker in your system. If your surrounds get down to 60 Hz at - 3 db, they're most likely pretty flat around 70-80 Hz.