Paging mobile homeless---need CD/DVD advice

Vahorns

Mobile---

A short while back, you mentioned that a new alternative from DIY to the Planet, might be available. You mentioned something about that the announcement was forthcoming based upon your work with that outfit. Well, I went to the DIY site, and no mentions of the alternative.

The moment of truth is upon me...I need to upgrade CD player but would like the DVD side as well.

Need your best advice, as I have just acquired a nice pair of Cornwalls that show the weaknesses of my old, very early and cheap, Marantz CD player.

If you wish to email me this info, reach me at:

deaverss@frb.gov

Best regards...

I'm not Mobile Homeless but I think I have a "no-brainer" solution to your problem. If you want a CD/DVD combo, get the Sony DVP-S9000ES. State of the art DVD & CD playback for under $1K. Plus you get SACD which is outstanding, not as good as a top-line vinyl rig, but close. Here's a review;

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/audiophileaudition/0301/sonydvp9000es.htm

I'm extremely happy (well made & a solid 28 lbs.) with it but it required an extensive "break-in period". My audiophile friends with their expensive Mark Levinson, Theta, etc. 2 piece CD rigs comment on how good the Sony sounds.

If I had to choose a 1 box player again, this would be it!

My $0.02.

Have fun & enjoy,

Pete

Make sure the unit is adequately "broken-in" prior to listening.

Try Oade Brothers in Georgia / Florida.

www.oade.com

I hear they have great prices & service. It should be less than $900. I noticed today that Crazy Eddie is selling the 9000ES for $868.

I got mine directly from Sony from a friend who had "connections". Back in April 2001, paid ~ $900 + shipping from California.

Have fun & enjoy,

Pete

I personally have not heard the Sony Pete discusses here but it sounds like it might be a good deal, especially used. On the other hand, I always and a bit sketchy when buying a CD player used as it is more fragile that amplifiers and speakers. Still, if you can trust the owner, it seems a good idea.

The CD player that I mentioned before is a hot rodded Pioneer DV-343 that I hear is supposed to sound VERY VERY good, beating the Tjoeb unit easily. I didnt happen to notice where you lived but it can be heard at the MIDWEST AUDIOFEST in Lima, Ohio (March 29-30) at the DIYCable.com room. Also there will be the Billie 300B SET Monoblocks, Basie all tube preamp, and the Ella EL-34/KT-88 push pull tube amp with volume pot. Hell, it will be HORN FEST that might even make you leave Klipsch! Ole Tom Brennan will be there waxing on about HORNS galore. Horn great Bruce Edgar will also be giving a seminar, which should be worth the drive alone.

See details below:

http://www.diycable.com/midwest.htm

(I have to thank either Mike Lindsey or Mike Stehr for the horn shot. I cant remember who posted it but I believe it was one of those two...)

I have not heard the Billie, Basie, or Ella but will be getting them right after this show. Am interested to see how they compare to my gear.

As for the Pioneer unit, you can drop ole Kevin an email. kevin_haskins@diycable.com

kh