FLAC

MistaChy

I can't believe so many people are using raid 0 for music storage. File serving does not require a lot of read or write speed. If one drive goes, the entire array goes. I know RAID 1 has the issue of losing 50% of capacity, but RAID 5 is nice with n-1 capacity. If you do not have backups of your music, even just 3 seperate hard drive would be better because if one drive fails you only lose what is on that one drive, not all 3. I know if I ripped several terabytes of music, I would be slightly concerned about safegurading that time and effort.

yea, raid 10 or 0+1 would be nice, but i use really good western digital drives and they are very reliable, but in the event of a failure, im covered because i do routine back ups... and i also have a back up of my back up drive. i prefer raid 0 because i like to mirror manually

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only Ayre, Dcs, and Wavelength utilize async usb which I belive Rankin (Wavelength) developed first, long ago actually. If you read up on it, it is a smart way to establish sample rate sync. The Brick may see an upgrade after CES apparentl; maybe a 24/96 module. Currently, the more affordable Proton can do 24/96 via async USB.

EAC can still introduce errors even when secure rip; AccurateRip may be something to look into, I never have. there a few mind numbing threads on Hydrogen Audio; I am not suggecting anything better. EAC or J. River in secure mode are fine.

There was a bit of confusion earlier in the thread due to the application of the term lossless in the context of pushing audio output via ASIO, WINASAPI, etc.

Starting with lossless sources like .ape, .flac, .alac means lossless as opposed to lossy. Discussing bit-perfect output vs non-bit perfect output is another thing. If you use J. River DSP to apply ReplayGain for example, while no longer bit-perfect, the 32bit internal audio engine is not going to make this non-bit-perfect output....crap, to be blunt. There are plenty of bits to work with and reasonable digital volume control is even feasible, although I myself even avoid this.

If you want to pass bit-peffect DTS over S/PDIF there is a test on the J. River forums but I can't find it right now.

DC